I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA in Rod Holders?
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 08:36PM

I'm going to make some trolling rods for musky fishing. Fiberglass 8'6" big rods (at least for this MN fisherman) that we'll troll 12" jakes on. We'll be putting the rods in rod holders. My question is this: will EVA hold up in rod holders well enough? Or should I go with cork?

Thanks!

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA in Rod Holders?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 09:04PM

Consider Hypalon.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 09:05PM

or go to Slim Slick butts , Call GetBit

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 09:11PM

Hi,

Here is the situation. You have a fish on and then try to get the rod out of the holder. The rod does not come out easy due to the synthetic grips catching in the rod holder due to their softness. Use a Slick butt which is hard plastic. The rod will slide out of the holder with a fish on. The slick butts come in 8, 10 and 12" lengths. Add a gimbal and you are in business.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2012 09:30PM

The EVA, if it's firm, will hold up but may not be the best thing for other reasons. Either a hard butt or your own custom carbon skinned grips might be a better choice.

If you do choose EVA, get high quality, firm stuff.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-75-233-19.myvzw.com)
Date: September 19, 2012 10:06PM

All my trolling rods have carbon fiber butt grips with Eva fore grips. The CF goes in and out of the rod holders easily and hold up to the abuse of a boat rod better than cork.

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: September 20, 2012 12:44AM

I'd reconsider my brand of rod holder first. The hottest holder in the Pacific Northwest is Folbe brand. You do the Google. It's a clam shell design rather than slide in/out.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 08:02AM

Mike Barkley made grips for this out of some PVC hose stuff he got from a hardwarre store for pennies. He posted pics on the forum a long time ago

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 09:11AM

Here Mikes grips
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 09:25AM

I have used EVA for decades for trolling rods. It will stand up much better than cork. Sure there are superior choices but they all cost more, weigh more, and are harder to install.

So I say go for EVA. It is cheap,easy, and will suffice. Like Tom says get a good firm grade.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 20, 2012 10:04AM

This IMHO is your best bet and cheap
[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 12:31PM

I'm with Bill. Can't get much cheaper (especially if you purchase wholesale). When I first started fishing (offshore trolling) I had some rods with EVA on the butts. Hard to get out of the rod holders when you have drag on the reel and a fish pulling from the other end. If your rod holders (cheap holders) have plastic inserts, the insert will come out of the holder with the rod butt. It did't take me long to figure out those rods weren't the ideal tools for "me" to use.

I use slick butts on all of my personal rods that I intend to use for offshore trolling.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 01:20PM

THose slick butts are made for Offshore rods, and are very heavy. I know a lot of people don't care abotu weight, but teh stuff Mike uses does teh same job and is much lighter weight and diameter, making it ideal for a FW trolling rod which is what the OP is looking for.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 04:39PM

I use eva for grips pulling shad for stripers. If a fish gets hung before you get to the rod I don't think there is an easy solution. That rod is locked in pretty good. The eva has held up well both in vertical holders and flat line. Make sure the eva is a dense cosistancy.

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 05:33PM

Wow. Lots of good input. I think I'll be doing the smooth butt that Bill suggested. Seems pretty tough yet inexpensive.

Thanks!

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 20, 2012 10:18PM

I have a lot of trolling rods on the water with those grips with no problems whatsoever and guys seem to love them [www.lowes.com] very light and breaks down to less that a half a buck per grip. I know use X-flock shrink tubing on some for aesthetics.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: September 21, 2012 07:51AM

Mike
Is that 3/4" OD or ID

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster