I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What do people want at the EXPO?
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2012 12:33PM

I thought i would throw this out there.
What do people want to see/buy at the show?
premade carbon grips,custom wood/cork/eva handles, guide sets,cork, wood, stuff to make their own,etc?
fly,bass,surf,salt?
I am not thinking of just blanks and guides, but other things people want to see.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do people want at the EXPO?
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 18, 2012 01:26PM

Hi John,
My biggest need is to meet up with a lot of guys I've run into here, everything else will be a bonus for me. Might as well pick up some cheap components while I'm there but nothing specific except foam for grips if Riley's can't send it to me. If that's the case I probably won't be able to get it on the plane to bring back with me anyway. I'm just looking to have a nice couple of days then have a look around the area and get to the Rodmaker office for a sticky beak.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2012 02:13PM

Jim,
I alway like to 'look' at your carbon grips. (Sorry but I do 'steal' your ideas.)
Any chance of having you do an updated seminar on making them. I'd be interested in seeing any chances to procedures., similiar to the recent Rod Mag article on the Carbon grips.

Thanks.

Larry

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2012 02:20PM

John, I would like to have the supplies for carbon grips, also seeing your work is always a treat

Col, Where will you be staying? I would like to meet up with you somewhere.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: August 18, 2012 02:30PM

Hi Bill,
Across the road from the expo but haven't decided which one. I've got a lot of stuff to organise before I leave but I'm definitely going. Like to meet up with you as well and I'm sure we will, catch you there.
Bill, just booked a room at the Marriot for a week, look forward to meeting you.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 02:48PM by Col Chaseling.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 18, 2012 02:50PM

A suggestion:
Make and wear nametags with your name, hometown, and the rodmaker logo

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2012 05:08PM

JP, as you already know whatever people tell you they want, they will not buy it and get something else. It's just how it is. Whatever you decide on, just make sure the price is low because so many people are cheap and want everything for nothing.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2012 05:32PM

should we charge for advice? just kidding. everyone always likes the neat stuff, but very very few are willing to pay for those items that can be hard and time consuming to make as well as the R and D that goes into them. i am just trying to see what people may want to see...not sure what i will bring, but if i dont bring it it is only minutes to my house..maybe we can have a bonfire as long as Bill brings some more of that apple pie

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 18, 2012 06:51PM

John,
You want a list? I got a list..........
last expo you had some carbon split grips with an imarbled/speckled effect that blew me away.
I want to be able to make them. Or buy them.

I want foam cores. I want carbon sleeves and epoxy to go over it.
I want good pigments.
mandrels.
X Flock at reasonable prices .
I normally buy my most popular selling blanks at the show.
I also like to flex on some new ones and maybe give them a try.
Travel blanks. 4 piece and a range of actions and lengths.
Guides.
Thread: Last expo the one i like most was packed so i could not get to it, i got one instead of my 40-50 spools.
If i missed buying thread so did others.......
I want reel seats that fit the blanks on hand at the show. Do you know how i struggled to find a 22MM reel seat? I had just bought a few hundred dollars of blank but struggled to get the matching seat....

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2012 09:13PM

john timberlake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> should we charge for advice?

You know, I try to do that by selling shirts and other small items, people will stand there bombarding with questions for an hour, and walk away without purchasing a thing. don't get me wrong, I love answerring questions, but the booth and cost to get down there ain't free. Buy a friggin shirt! lol.

Date: August 18, 2012 10:19PM

Hi Billy,
Might bring an Aussies shirt or two with me,you might even get one!! Definitely will get some NERBS stuff whether you've got time for a chat or not, night time will be the go.
Strange how people what something done for nothing especially with rodbuilding. The same guys go out and spend excess amounts on other stuff and don't bat an eyelid. Discount stores selling rods and reels for $50 don't help either, and you can't convince them there's a difference in quality or workmanship either.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: August 19, 2012 07:07AM

Col Chaseling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>.....
> I'm just looking to have a nice couple of days
> then have a look around the area and get to the
> Rodmaker office for a sticky beak.
Okay, I'll bite. What's a "sticky beak" ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2012 07:09AM by Greg Marshall.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2012 08:11AM

Be nosey... 'have a look around'

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns14.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 19, 2012 08:14AM

Hi Ken,
Thanks, you've been to Australia and picked up a bit.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: August 19, 2012 08:16AM

Yes Col -
I lived in Australia for 10 years (off and on)... Two sons born in Alice Springs....

Date: August 19, 2012 08:24AM

JP ...
I want what I always want ... a booth next to / near yours... a chance to meet new people / reconnect with people I've met... share a few 'tipples' in the evening over coldies.,, exchange ideas and techniques... enjoy a little Southern hospitality... spend more money than I intended to... drool over the work of others... see/touch new products... check the color of Billy's crocs... turn Lana loose on a rod to decorate... pretty much the same as every year.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns14.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 19, 2012 08:25AM

Hi Ken,
You could have had the kids somewhere near water, not much for a long way from there. What did you do for a fish in that neck of the woods, travel a long way north and check out the crocs!!

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2012 02:28PM

Hey John; I am still very low on the learning curve. I feel very inadequate when talking with those who have done so much for the custom rod building. I hope to get up to speed and be able to contribute to this craft of rod building.
As for what I would like to see is the new ideas that have come about and sometime a general idea for how to begin. This is usually followed up by an article in RodMakers and published by Tom. (Thanks Tom). An earlier post mention name tags I think that would be great for us to get to meet others. I see a lot of names on here and would love to ba able to put a face with them.
Thanks for letting me ramble
Corky

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2012 03:49PM

Actually, those ideas generally appear in RodMaker first (sometimes years in advance) and then trickle down to other venues. At least this has been the case in most instances. The seminars are usually a case of folks wanting to see specific magazine articles presented in person, which puts the viewer into a situation that allows Q&A on the fly.

Posted by: Chad Tucker (166.182.3.---)
Date: August 19, 2012 03:52PM

Ok so this is my first post and figured this is as good as a place to start. I have just joined but been lurking around here for 6-8 months. Took so long joining cause I didn't think I had much to contribute with all the know how on here.
With all that said I can't wait to get to the expo. This will be my first time and I hope I will be able to make it. I'm a marine stationed down here on camp lejeune or else going to the expo would be just a dream. Hoping I won't be in the field training at time of show.
So what do I want? Simple to pick up as much knowladge as I can. Will have plenty of money to burn! Which I'm sure won't be a problem! Hoping to meet new people and new friends.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster