I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide selection mind-numbing!!
Posted by: sergio rimoldi (---.scansafe.net)
Date: August 18, 2012 02:06PM

As a beginner rod builder I find the extensive selection available confusing and baffling.
Concept guides, micro guides, etc, etc, etc. And of course Striper guides, different sizes, guide materials, ring materials…………
Anyone can recommend reading material on information about selecting guides, pros, cons, etc.??

Thank You,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide selection mind-numbing!!
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 18, 2012 02:20PM

The revamped Fuji site has some of the best information to date ... [anglersresource.net]. It would be a very good place to start.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 18, 2012 06:59PM

I'll offer the following for thought. However there are others here that are FAR more knowledgable.

Often new offerings are just new ways to part us from our money. Newer isn't always better. New ideas are often just recycled info.

It has always been known that a bunch of smaller guides distributes the load better than a few smaller (or bigger) guides. In the past it was felt the weight penality prohibited using so many guides. Now with micros and titainium as options we are looking again at increasing the number of guides. IMHO what

IMHO which path to choose depends on what you are asking of your rod. I feel that the guys that are really pushing rods to the limits....those catching large, hard fighting/long running fish, relative to line strength....will be the ones to see the most gain. This isn't to say all wouldn't enjoy using the samllest and lightest guide because they will. And using smaller guides often meams using more. But IMHO those pushing the limits will be the ones best served by using an extra guide or two.....and now they can with little penality!

Today we are blessed with a number of good guides/models/brands. I don't know the market can support this for very long so rejoice in your ability to have lots of choices.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2012 11:52PM

Sergio,
If you are just starting off, I think that it makes a lot of sense to build a couple of "practice" rods so to speak.

i.e. you want to learn your techniques for doing the various things while constructing a rod. One can also believe that the first rod building attempt will not likely be as well executed at the 1000th rod built.

Therefore, I would suggest that you just start off with a set of prepackaged inexpensive guides, and get cracking.

That way the sizes are already selected. All that you have to do, is to space them properly and tie them up. No, they may not be of the very latest style and type, but it will give you a chance to get a rod built that will be less expensive than spending $$$$$$$$$$$$ for specialized guides.

It might also make sense to simply purchase a rod building kit, where every thing is supplied - i.e. blank, grips, reel seats and guides. In some cases, the thread is also supplied.

Several different vendors on the left side of this page have such kits available.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.dsl.stl2mo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 19, 2012 07:53AM

Good advice given. I've been doing this for over 30 years and still don't have it figured out. Don't let the guide options into your head. Get what you think looks good and don't overthink it. My opinion is that you have steel, titanium and ceramics. That's it. All of the different types of "ceramics" don't mean much to me, at least for my inland rods. One is as good as another. Keep it simple and have fun with it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster