I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex coat lite-- Did I make a mistake?
Posted by: Brian DeKorne (---.feather.net)
Date: July 20, 2012 06:07PM

I have completed my second rod, and both have come out better than I have expected! My question is regarding the finish, and how long it takes to harden. My finish is in no way tacky. It actually feels very similar to factory finished rods. The only difference between my finish and a factory rod finish is that when I press my thumb nail into my finish, it leaves a small indentation. When I mix my epoxy, I follow the instructions and make sure it is crystal clear. I then pour it onto some tin foil and apply with a brush. The rod has been done for 5 days. Am I doing something wrong? Or will it harden over more time? I hope someone will be able to share from similar experiences!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex coat lite-- Did I make a mistake?
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 20, 2012 06:10PM

I've had some take up to two weeks to completely harden.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 20, 2012 07:11PM

I think you'll be okay. Give it a few more days and see if it doesn't continue to harden a bit more.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2012 09:41PM

Brian,
Keep it nice and warm. It will cure more quickly.
Roger

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 21, 2012 03:56PM

I agree with Roger. I run the AC in the room to dry things out before I finish. Sometimes to much humidity will cause thing to take longer also.

Date: July 21, 2012 04:33PM

It seems I just need a bit more patience..... I will continue to wait until it hardens up more!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2012 08:08PM

Technical information about epoxy curing as a function of temperature and relative humidity.

[msdssearch.dow.com]

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: July 22, 2012 05:40PM

And try not to dig your thumbnail into it when it is new. I know how hard it is not to test it that way, though.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 22, 2012 08:20PM

when you but on the flex coat or other epoxy take a drop an put it on a coffie can lid ,, that is what you play with it , thay way you can keep track of the hardness an not mess up your project / ROD it is great for me
there is always some that you throw away from that MIX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2012 08:22PM by william sidney.

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2012 02:39PM

Hello Brian,

I use Flex Coat Light on all of my builds, with no issues at all with cure times. With the exception of winter time and summer time. Humidity seems to be my culprit of getting my results desired. As a general rule of thumb when I mix a batch in very small amounts. I save my cup of left over to let dry with the rod. I use this to check for tackiness and drying conditions of the epoxy. Now I have removed the cup during the summer time and let it set out doors in the sunshine, to see if i would get a better or faster drying effect from the natural suns rays (Keep in mind I live in Oregon here) The epoxy in the cup changed to a much harder state than what was on the rod, so when I felt it was safe to do so I removed the rod after a day of spinning on the dryer to set out side in the sun for about 6 hours and brought it in for a thumb nail test and I couldn't even touch it with my nail at that point. I hope this helps and remember to save your cup every time or even the drop sheet you use for excess of epoxy so you can check later to see if your batch has clearly hardened to your satisfaction! Finding it soft after 10 hours will save your self some embarrassing moments! Good luck and have fun building !

Rick Heil

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Date: August 05, 2012 07:46PM

Rick, that sounds like a great suggestion. I will give that a try with my current build!

Brian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster