I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

recurring bubble?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2012 05:55PM

I put on a coat of epoxy 4 hrs ago, and this bubble showed up when i first put the epoxy on, so I warmed it up with the lighter torch, and about ten minutes later it showed up again, I wasn't for sure it was the same bubble in the same place, so after I warmed it again and got rid of it, I took notice on where it was, then abpout 20 minutes later it showed up agin so I put it out again, everything was going alright, so I left to do an errand, when I came back it was there again, so i will wait till I can cut it off with a razor, Does anyone have any clues as why it kept coming back. I figurer it might be some type of contamination, but its just that one spot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: recurring bubble?
Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.109.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: June 08, 2012 06:24PM

Don't think it was contamination, sounds like just a troublesome spot where the air is escaping. Happened to me once, try not to over heat the area or the bubble will just keep surfacing. I just touched the area every so often with my brush until the bubble stopped forming, seemed to do the trick.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 06:26PM by Steve Mcleod.

Date: June 08, 2012 07:35PM

now its to late to try to pop it, Its almost hard enough to where i can cut it off and recoat. Thanks for the help, I will remember that next time.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2012 08:38PM

This happens quite a bit on Dec Wraps to me. I don't know why, it's usually after the first coat. If I notice it foaming up I'll spray MH's bubblebuster on it, that sometimes prevents it fromcomingback. If that doesn't work, when it dries I'll slice it off and put a drop of DNA, sometimes Acetone, sometimes a drop of CP, sometimes a drop f Permaglos. Sometimes it doesn't matter it still comes back. I'll put a few coats, sand all teh epoxy off, re-attempt cleaningwith a solvent, andthe next coat is usually OK. It' sa realy hassle whenthis happens, I dont' knowwhyit does.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 08, 2012 10:15PM

Billy got it on the head there. It happens on the decorative wraps often enough to be really annoying when it does occur. I usually will hit it with mudholes bubble buster as well, and leave it be. Its generally one or two bubble that keep growing as the air escapes. I prefer to just let it grow and slice it off once its dry as the crater fills in with the next coat and it then disappears.

It is in relation to trapped air attempting to escape, so heating it up more and more does nothing but expand the trapped air forcing it to the surface again.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 09, 2012 08:48AM

With a thinner first coat the air will escape easier It soaks in more also Then when set a regular coat

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2012 10:07AM

If there is contamination it doesn't matter how thin the first coat is because the epoxy wont' stick to it, and the bubbles come out on the subsequent coats. Ergo why I get them on teh second coat.

Date: June 09, 2012 10:23AM

But That is why I don't have many - if at all bubble problems The thinner finish releases them and hitting with the brush helps
Heating will only help the finish set up and keep the bubble in it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 09, 2012 10:56AM

I,m readym to do the 2nd coat, I if there is still bubbles that won;t go away then it is probably contamination, but I'll wait to see how it turns out.

Date: June 09, 2012 12:34PM

Looks like all is good, they didn't come back, My guess is that it was just trapped air, Tight lines u all! till next time!

Date: June 09, 2012 01:32PM

very Good
it all comes out in the end

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: June 11, 2012 05:28AM

bubbles aren't contamination. its trapped air escaping thats all, you have an air cavity below where your laying the epoxy, and as the epoxy slowly fills up the cavity the air bubble comes to the top, so on and so on until the cavity is filled up, then no more bubbles.
cheers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster