I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay A7 Fly Seats - How Light of Rod?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: May 26, 2012 06:53AM

Just wondering - does the Pac Bay A7 fly seat look out of place on a lighter fly rod - 3 wt. up to 6 wt.? I have not built with one yet, but am considering it to pair up with my Fenwick style grip, as I'll need a seat without a hidden hood.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay A7 Fly Seats - How Light of Rod?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 26, 2012 11:49AM

The A& is pretty "Beefy" looking for a light weight rod. ( 3-5) Pac Bay has lighter non=recessed seats, like the UL5 & DL5

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2012 09:35PM

There are better choices, but I do not see why not. The A7 will mate up with a Fenwick style grip very nicely especially if you taper the rear of the grip to the same outside diameter as the front hood on the A7. A short 3 or 4wt might be a little light for this seat, but remember this is "your" rod and if you are happy with the look and feel what is the harm? If you do some research you will find that many of the Chico era Powell Fly Rods had this style of seat, now I don't know for sure if it was by Pac Bay, but it sure does look close. I once played around with a 7'-3" 3wt Powell that had an A7 style seat in gold that did feel pretty nice in the hand, although the owner did have a light weight reel on it. Balanced just fine.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2012 10:24PM

I don't understand the negative press directed toward the A7 reel seats. I've read it in threads other than this one. Their slip rings are machined, not pressed into shape like the UL5/DL5 seats and the threaded barrel's O.D. is actually smaller than the 5 series seats so I think they look more at home on a light weight flyrod than the 5 series does. The A7's are actually lighter in weight than the 5 series seats which are made of brass. I prefer to recess my A7 seats, not using an RA7 - but the original A7 style. It recesses perfectly with a 22mm forstner bit.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 27, 2012 03:55AM

I will use an A7 on a three weight, they are small and light enough. They are the same length as the A5 and A4 and are shorter than the U3. PacBay A7 woven graphite 24.5 grams, aluminum 25.5g, A4 22.5g. Batson A5 21g. Unknown (Batson or PacBay) U3 23g.

Posted by: Abram Harrison (---.dsl.teksavvy.com)
Date: May 27, 2012 06:49AM

I put the Forecast A7 seat on a RX6 6'6 2wt, and it looks good and balances really well with a TFO NXT1 reel and a DT3 line. I'm start a 3wt now, and I'm going to use the same seat on it as well.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 27, 2012 10:47AM

I used Fenwick grips and A7 or 8 reel seats on many of the Lamiglas Perigee blanked rods, they were thin walled blanks and .500" at the butt. Didn't look a bit out of place IMO, and I was able to bore and ream wood inserts to fit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster