I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly reel seat and grip assembly
Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns2.dav.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 26, 2012 04:15AM

Hi all,

I have just started building my second fly rod - a 6wt Sage Z-axis.
I am using a Batson half wells grip and BUL5 reel seat.

I am just wondering if you have a preference as to whether you glue the cork grip and metal hood onto the rod first and then the reel seat and wood insert, or the other way round. Is there an advantage to doing it one way or the other?

And secondly, do you glue the wood insert, reel seat and butt cap together first, to make a single unit, or do you glue them onto the rod one at a time.

Any tips appreciated.

Dale
Hobart, TASMANIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly reel seat and grip assembly
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 26, 2012 11:45AM

There is more then one way to assemble them. My preference is the following steps. 1.) glue the recessed hood into the grip 2.)glue the insert into the reel seat skeleton 3.) Dry fit the parts on the blank and mark the upper end of the grip on the blank 4.) Glue the grip onto the blank using the reel seat to stop it's slide toward the butt. ( at this point the reel seat is still not glue on the blank. 5.) Aligning parts as you want them, now glue on the reel seat 6.) Seat cap goes on last.

I use Rod Bond for this building and masking tape on areas I do not want the epoxy to get on, still there will be some oozing that needs to be cleaned up with DNA.

I think you will find others using different procedures. You will eventually find the process that works and one where you are comfortable.

Date: May 27, 2012 03:47AM

Thanks a lot Phil.

One other thing, do you try a have the end of the blank actually touch the inside of the butt cap. Do you think this is particularly important?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2012 02:19PM

I wouldn't want it to actually touch. Close but not touching. While it's doubtful this would happen, you would not want temperature changes and the expansion differences between materials to cause anything to be pushed off or loosen.

Date: May 28, 2012 02:51AM

Good point Tom - I had not thought of that - Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster