I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What have you used to build rods that was never intended for rod building
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 13, 2012 08:11PM

A silicone rubber "0" ring from the plumbing section of a hardware store around the barrel of a threaded reel seat to serve as a compressible "lock washer" to prevent reel seats from loosening up when they shouldn't.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: May 13, 2012 08:38PM

Ron Hossack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Casey Abell Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > On that note have you noticed any UV resistance
> > problems when using it.
>
> I don't know about any UV protection in the
> Enviroex protection but I do know that in the
> General Finishes High Performance it does have a
> UV Stabilizer.
>
> > To be honest I REALLY like this Glaze Coat
> stuff I get from Lowes. If I could be sure it had
> the UV resistance properties
> > and would remain flexible I would use it as a
> wrapping resin.
>
> I'm going to guess that it doesn't. When I
> searched their site the only product listed with
> UV is Dura-Tuff Clear Coat is a superior strength
> polyurethane coating that provides a tough, UV and
> scratch-resistant, clear gloss finish.

So what would you think about this idea.... Using the Glaze coat as a filler, then using 2k auto clear as a top coat on carbon fiber handles or wraps where you need multiple coats of finish. My thinking is that the 2k will have the UV properties to keep the finish below it from yellowing.. much like a typical base / top coat on autos..

Im trying my hardest to use this Glaze Coat somewhere LOL

???????

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: May 13, 2012 08:39PM

Jeff Shafer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Casey started a great thread. Sorry for taking it
> into an E-Tex direction. Back in 2004 I wrote to
> the forum about using binder clips to replace wing
> nuts on thread caddies. The idea seems to be
> catching on.

No worries, I love the information thus far.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2012 08:46PM

UV protection does not necessarily mean protection against yellowing. In fact, most UV stabilizers have a yellow tint to them to begin with.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 13, 2012 09:18PM

I use plastic containers from coffee, soap, bleach, fabric softener or anything else that comes in plastic containers to make teim rings on grips. I use a hole saw (1 1/2") or just use a box cutter to cut them into squares. Glue them up between cork, EVA or wood.Now when my wife buys laundry soap, brand is based on what color I am low on!! Turns down like butter on a lathe. Metal roof flashing, thin copper, brass sheets from a hobby shop are inexpensive and can be used in the same way.
Auto supply stores have a nice selection of gasket material in various colors. I have bought various colors of plastic place mats, plastic plates, cutting boards, etc from a local dollar store for under a buck!!

Craft stores like Michaels, JoAnnes, and Hobby Lobby are a Treasure Trove for builders! Spend some time in the button aisle for super butt cap inlays.

I could go on and on!! The key is an open mind. Every time I go in a store, I browse and wander the aisles looking for things to be used in rod building. JP Timberlake has used some really innovative materials/techniques in his work as has Mark Blabaum. Ron Hossack does beautiful work with various barks and other unusual materials!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.dynamic.cdma.acsalaska.net)
Date: May 13, 2012 09:44PM

Golden Retriever tail hair twisted into thread for trim.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 14, 2012 12:07AM

Mr Barkley,
Don Morse is correct, you are a treasure trove of ideas. Keep that mind well and truly open.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: May 14, 2012 05:58AM

I have used poker chips for trim rings, sometimes you can get them in several different colors too and they are cheap. I built a spinning rod for a golfer friend of mine and used a disgarded golf club shaft for the butt end of the rod. I knew what kind of clubs he used and I have a friend that rebuilds golf clubs so he gave me a really nice shaft in the brand my friend used. I built the grip on the shaft working around all the very nice decals and graphics and then spliced in the rest of the rod like you would repair a broken rod. It was a little on the heavy side but he really liked it and it fished well. As best I know he still uses it cause I'm sure I would have heard about any problems

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 09:02PM

Golf grips
Ferrule tool
Steeler's emblem from a shot glass
Military uniform buttons
Jumping fish cut from a set of earings
Charm bracelet dangles
Pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters
Orthodontist wire
Waterslide Decals

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster