I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

power wrapper reversing switch
Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2012 10:08AM

I finally finished my power wrapper and wanted to know how to install a switch that reverses the motor if I need to spin it backwards in the event of thread wrapping over itself. The motor is a 110v 50/60 hz sewing machine motor with a foot pedal. The power cord has one normal end and the other has a female three prong plug which plugs into a male recepticle at the motor. Two of the wires from the female plug run to the foot pedal. any advice is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: power wrapper reversing switch
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 12, 2012 02:05PM

This topic has been covered quite extensively in the past. Run a search on the Forum using ALL DATES.
I'm quite sure you'll find the info you seek.

Re: power wrapper reversing switch
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2012 09:14PM

Frank,
With some motors, easier said than done.

To reverse a universal motor - as is the case with the sewing machine motor, you need to open the motor case and pull the connections for the motor brushes free and then add leads to the brush connections and the armature connections.

To reverse the motor, you need to flip flop the brush connections to the armature. This can be easily accomplished with a double pole double throw switch. Put a pair of reversing wires on the back side other switch contacts and then wire the brush connections to one end of the switch and wire the armature connections into the center terminals of the switch.

The big catch of this entire arrangement is whether you can free up the ends of the brushes and still have free connections for the armature wires. Many motors have these connections buried on the inside of the windings and make it virtually impossible to access.

--
Here is the picture that was posted some time ago to reverse the motor

[www.rodbuilding.org]

As I said earlier, the big catch is whether you can get to the ends of the brush wires and the ends of the armature wires on your particular motor.

Good luck
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster