I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Setting Split Grips Up
Posted by: John Forehand (---.sip.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 11:07PM

This being my first split grip, how would you determine the distance from the reel seat to the butt of the rod. For example, I have already made a rod with a nine inch grip that goes from the bottom of the reel seat to the end of the butt cap. This is a very comfortable rod to me. When setting up the split grip would I measure from the bottom of that reel seat down nine inches to the butt plug to get the same fit. The rod I am making this time is for the father or a friend of mine and we want to surprise him with the rod so I wont be able to get an actual measurement to see what length the grip really needs to be. The split grip is for a medium action blank and will most likely be used for largemouth bass. Any help and responses would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Setting Split Grips Up
Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 11:21PM

Take a quick gander to see if your and his arms are the same length, if the are approximately close - it should be fine what is comfortable for you. I build a lot that measure 5"-6" inches from the butt of the rod to the bottom of the grip, the grip would be about 4"-5" from the bottom to the bottom of the reel seat. Or, just measure where reel seat is for the 9" grip you just made....I probably wasn't much help, but I tried..............

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 11:32PM

Handle length is the same weather it is split or not.

Since you would want to get the handle length right (as much as possible) for the person using the rod, I would see if a measurement could be taken from a similar factory rod that the person uses. On the sly of course so as not to spoil the surprise.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Linus Tay (---.156.8.10.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: May 08, 2012 12:37AM

+1 on what Raymond said. Quietly check out a current rod your friend's dad is using (and likes) and if possible, measure the distance from the reel stem to the butt end. Then simply ensure that the rod you're building places the stem the exact same distance from the butt. After that, it up to you how you wanna split the rear grip ie. the length of each piece of the split and the space in between.

Cheers
Linus

Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2012 10:56AM

I think you should also think about what application the rod will be used for. For my cranking rods I like a longer handle than most to brace against my side. For spinnerbaits a little shorter and rods where you impart a lot of action on the bait such as jerkbaits and topwaters still shorter so that the handle doesn't interfere with the action you are imparting on the bait.

Date: May 08, 2012 12:11PM

the rod im building is just a general all purpose rod. its not for one specific technique.

Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2012 12:31PM

I would probably stick with a 9" length like your other. It shouldn't change from a full length.

Date: May 08, 2012 04:26PM

Thanks for all your help guys

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster