I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reaming straight
Posted by: John Gaylord (---.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 05:58PM

Why can't I ream a 2" cork fore grip and keep the hole centered?!!!

John Gaylord
Keewaydin Custom Rods
Dublin, OH; Naples, FL
jgbuckeye@gmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reaming straight
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2012 06:19PM

Because it's hard to do unless you know the trick.

You need several reamers. As the bore enlarges, you must move to a larger reamer - one that is just smaller than the bore. By turning and twisting, you keep the bore closer to the center than if you use a small reamer and simply push and pull. That sort of thing often and usually does result in an off-center or over-tapered bore.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 07:38PM

Are you forcing it on the reamer with pressure? If so, just let the reamer do the work with very little pressure going down the reamer.

Date: May 07, 2012 07:46PM

I chuck it in a hand drill and go. I do have several reamer sizes and work up the ladder. Maybe I'm just a little too aggressive.

John Gaylord
Keewaydin Custom Rods
Dublin, OH; Naples, FL
jgbuckeye@gmail.com

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: May 08, 2012 07:53AM

Try running the drill in reverse.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 08, 2012 08:03AM

2 " cork You might be Tilting the cork as it goes onto the reamer
Easy does it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 08, 2012 08:10AM

John, if you use a drill as I do, get it about 1/3 to 1/2 way on the reamer and turn the drill on without holding the cork. It'll turn true or pretty close if its centered. Then move forward.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2012 03:15PM

John,
I learned this little aid quite a while ago.
I also ream using a power drill and had the same issue of the holes being off center from time to time.

I found that when reaming now; I wear a pair of jersey gloved. i.e. the brown cotton gloves.

The purpose of using the gloves it to let the cork slip in your hand without burning your hand.

When reaming, if you let the cork slip a bit as you are reaming, the cork will spin a bit in the glove. As the cork spins the reamer will tend to self center. The other thing that happens, as the cork rotates, you will be able to feel any off center instantly and correct the reamer to recenter the hole.

After you have done a couple grips this way, you will quickly pick up on the technique and have an end to off center holes.

Good luck
REW

Date: May 08, 2012 03:28PM

Roger, that's genius! And thanks to all.

John Gaylord
Keewaydin Custom Rods
Dublin, OH; Naples, FL
jgbuckeye@gmail.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 08, 2012 04:32PM

Another thing to try is hold the reamer in one hand and turn the cork keep it centered Cork cuts very fast and easy

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster