I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SF guides on a TFO BVK 9' 7wt blank HELP
Posted by: Ron Ragno (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 12:08PM

Hi,
I am sure the subject of SF guides has been hashed out XXXXXXX of times, however, I am getting more confused as I go on. I have purchased the above blank and intend to wrap it with SF guides.
My original intent was to wrap using guides with inserts. Using their recommended 20 & 16 DF stripping guides followed with SF guides. The TFO reps. clearly state SF guides with inserts are not
recommended with this blank. Could be weight or what else I am do not know, the blank is very light. Since then I have been looking at REC SF guides. I now am getting confused about SF guides with inserts, no inserts, REC SF guides and even size of the stripping guides. I would appreciate feed back on all your experiences with this type of blank and SF guides. I know this is a lot of information , however this is the group with a lot of knowledge.
Thank you,
Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SF guides on a TFO BVK 9' 7wt blank HELP
Posted by: Derek Rogers (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2012 12:20PM

Im not much of a fly fisher so my knowledge may be wrong, andif it is I know some one will correct me.

you are correct about inserts adding weight to a guide, the more weight a blank has to handle the slower and less sensative it becomes.

I'm not sure if it is still accurate, but I have read in a few place's most recently Tom's mag, that the size listed for the guide is to the inside of the frame, not the inside of the insert. A size 6 guide with no insert may be as high as a size 12 with an insert. And the size of the insert changes from product line to product line. The larger frame also adds more weight.

Now if you want a decorative stripper guide, I dont see that changing the response of the rod too much, again Im not much for fly fishing so I cant say for certain.

Strong wraps, calm seas
Derek

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: January 31, 2012 12:30PM

I have a post below...."tell me how to build a fly rod".....that answers many of your questions.

In the end it is still a a choice you have to make.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 01:28PM

Here [rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: January 31, 2012 01:56PM

I replied in the thread listed by Bill Boettcher, above.

My experience with TFO rods has been very good. Good rods for the price. THe BVK is their latest and greatest, I'm guessing it will build into a fine rod for you. Their customer service was outstanding the one time I had to use it (grip started to get loose).

Unlike many here, I am not a huge fan of ceramic ringed running guides on fly rods. It isn't just the extra weight. I don't like how they look, and I don't like how they get bent. Single or double foot wire guides will do what you want, and the RECs are the best of the best wire guides. They are light, damage resistant, and free from corrosion forever. They are all I use.

On a 7wt and 20 size stripper is overkill. TFO does the same thing on their TiCro-X rods. I would go 16-12(or 10) strippers and (snakes) 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-top, but as stated, it's very subjective and many build plans will yield a functional fly rod. If you want to use single foots on a 7 wt, I'd probably use size 3s, but on a 7 wt, I'd use snakes as mentioned.

Good luck.

Drew

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 05:30PM

If you really want to stay with the single foots look at the black pearl single foot guides from REC. Sweet guide. The other problem I have seen with ringed single foot fly guides is the foot is wider than the blank so you must grind it down to prevent any overhang. With these newer super graphite/resins etc... the blank diameters have been shrinking. Agree with Drew on the smaller strippers.

Posted by: Jon conner (---.burl.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 08:11PM

Size and type of runners depends a lot on what type of fish you're going to use the rod for, if it's something like bonefish that run fast, you might want to use a larger snake guide so that a small tangle could pass through without disastrous consequences. On the other hand if you're going use it for smallmouth or stripers you can easily use the single foot RECs. I would also use the smaller strippers in all cases though, I think they put the big ones on to look macho, or something like that, this ain't a twelve weight.
JC

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (121.54.92.---)
Date: February 01, 2012 11:05AM

Hi Ronald.
I have just built a TFO BVK #7, #8, and #9wt. I have built these rods for a trip to Christmas Island this Feb. The #7wt is the rod I expect to use most of the time for bonefish on the flats. I opted to go for a 16mm 1st stripper, the Fuji TKWSG 16 which also has a titanium frame with Silicone carbide insert, followed by an REC double foot wire stripping guide RSG 12mm 2nd stripper. The intermediate runners are REC single foot RSFX 1 x #6, 1 x #5, and 6 x #4 and an REC RTUL-M tip top. I built this rod using size #60 madeira thread and used Trondaks Perma Gloss finish to keep the wraps as thin and light as possible. I used the TFO recomended spacing on their web site.
I found as mentioned above that the feet, even on these wire single foot guides needs a little bit of triming with a diamond file to fit nicely on the tip section of this blank. I personally prefer bigger guides. I also chose the Fuji TKWSG style of guide as a 1st stripper for the simple reason that the angle of the insert of this style of guide reduses the angle of line entry into the guide-this may or may not be a benefit-I will find out. The alternative and more traditional style of Fuji stripper is the TNSG for the titanium frame, which is also a lighter frame weight than the one I chose. The rod I built weighs under 4oz with a Struble aluminium U-15 reel seat and a large 7 1/2" full wells cork grip that was built and shaped on the rod.
I also used single foot REC's on the #8wt, and REC snakes on the #9wt. The #7wt in particular appears to be very resposve and balances perfectly when loaded with a Nautilus FWX 7/8 reel and a Wullf Bermuda short line threaded through the guides. I am looking forward to using this rod once I am there in CXI end of next week.
Hope this helps.

Date: February 01, 2012 03:28PM

Thank all of you for the prompt and great information. Each one has a good opinion and their experience shows. I have decided to stay with SF guides and take the suggestions on using stripper guides of 16 & 12 in place of TFO'S 20 & 16. What brand and size is still up in the air. However, I am leaning to REC SF. Again thanks for your input and suggestions. Keep them coming.
Ron

Date: February 01, 2012 03:52PM

Earl,
Sounds just about the way I was planing on doing my blank, down to the reel seat. I see where Struble now has a U-15HF seat and looks like the green color offered would look good with the blank. I will also use a full wells grip with cut out and a fixed fighting but FB-15. Do you or can you advise what size cut out will be needed for the grip? I cannot get and answer fron Struble on the size of the hood on the reel seat. Still up in the air on REC SF guide size and number/or step down in size. I like your suggestion on both. Stripping guides, I will stay with using an insert and probable Fuji. I have heard about REC guides needing some work on the feet before wrapping and it sounds like it still applies.
Most of my fisshing for now will be confined to CA waters both river and maybe our delta fresh and some salt water spieces. Steelhead, Salmon, stripers and what ever gets on the line
I would like to now how your rod preforms and sounds like a great trip. Let me know.
Thanks,
Ron

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (121.54.92.---)
Date: February 01, 2012 11:32PM

Hi Ron.
Sorry to tell you that I don't have the size of the bore needed to fit the over the hood of the reel seat. I make my grips from cork and ccork/rubber compound rings that I bore out individually to fit over the reel seat hood and their respective position on the blank, then after glueing, turn the grip to shape on the blank. I build the fixed fighting butts the same way. The fighting butt on my BVK #7wt is 11/4",consisting of a 1/4' x 1 1/4" dia cork rubber compound ring, a plain 1/2" x 1 1/4" dia cork ring and finally a 1/2 x 1 1/2" dia cork/ rubber compond disk with no hole. The ring used over the reel seat hood is a 1/2" x 1 1/4" dia cork/ rubber compound ring that is sliced to thickness on the reel seat hood after glueing as it needs a little over 1/4" to fit nicely on the Struble U15.
I believe that Struble can supply a cork ring to fit the hood, and I believe Mudhole can supply.

Date: February 23, 2012 04:54PM

Earl,
I would like to know how your TFO 7wt BVK worked out? Hope It preformed as expected. I am hone now and the surgery was successful. I am now ready to start wrapping my BVK and would appreciate your response on how your choice of stripper and single foot REC worked.
Thanks,
Ron

Date: February 27, 2012 02:59PM

Drew,
Hope this gets to you as I do not know how or if I can reply through the site direct to you. if this does go through would you help me on how to reply directly to a posted response to my question.
I like your approach to my question I will use a 16 and 12 stripper Ceramic? REC for the running guides. I would like to know why you suggest the use of snake guides on a 7wt?.
I hope I am not getting on the wrong track as it is very subjective. My thoughts are to use REC SF running guides size 3 to tip top and oversize tip top. Subjective is a broad word.
Appreciate your reply.
Thanks,
Ron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster