I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

polymer didn't harden on guides
Posted by: Jason Callaway (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2012 02:16PM

Hello all, after 4 years of collecting dust I decided to wrap the last few rods I had before getting rid of my equipment. I used flex coat polymer that had been stored that long and it has yet to harden after 2 days. I might have mixed it light on the hardner side or maybe it's just old but it didn't harden which brings me here to ask this question:

I've got alcohol and acetone and am wondering if I use either to strip the still-soft polymer off of the guides will it damage the thread causing me to have to start over again? Since these are for personal use I don't care about appearance as I'd rather not have to re-wrap them. I've also considered just going over the un-hardened ploymer with a fresh coat but I'm thinking that wouldn't work.

Any advice would be appreciated. Oh yeah, they are graphite surf rods, some domestic and a couple purglas from south africa.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: polymer didn't harden on guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2012 02:20PM

There's nothing wrong with your Flex Coat - age won't change its properties.

What you can do, is carefully mix an exact 50-50 mix of resin and hardener and apply another thin application. That should take care of it. Do be very precise with your measuring and mixing.

Posted by: Jason Callaway (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2012 03:49PM

Thank you Mr. Kirkman, I'll try it again tonight.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 09:13PM

Jason,
Normally acetone or xylene will strip the epoxy off of the thread without hurting anything. You have to be careful to not to get it on the rod finish, or you may strip the finish from the rods.

In addtion to Mr. Kirkmans comments, be sure to mix the 50:50 mix slowly but for a long time.
Use a clock and mix for a minum of 120 seconds or two minutes. Three minutes is even better. When first starting, I made the mistake of not mixing my 50:50 mix long enough and ended up wiht an uncured finish.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 04:43PM

Which is preferred? 120 seconds or 2 minutes? I'm confused! LOL

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Kevin Proctor (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 05:29PM

If you look at your mixture when you start stirring, it will have a sort of pearlescent look to it. Mix until this is gone and then for another minute. Accuracy in measuring is important, but mixing is more important.

If your FlexCoat has crystalized, you can nuke it a little. No more than 10 seconds at a shot. The crystals wil dissolve and your FlexCoat will be just like new. If one shot in the microwave doesn't do it, repeat, but not for more than 10 seconds. That stuff heats up fast and you really don't want to explain to your wife why there is gooey stuff all over the inside of the microwave.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 10:23AM

I take a popsicle stick and break it in half long wise and mix with that Check for - splinters
A box is cheap and will last a long time

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2012 10:25AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster