I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
wraping a single foot guide
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 12:47AM

this is my frist single wrap guide rod , after reading the directions on the Forhand wrap, it looks like there is a small rap on top of the regular wrap to lock the guide in place , is that correct, is it worth the added time an labor for the wrap , any input ?????
Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wraping a single foot guide
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 01:24AM

Try this link it's much better and faster then the Forhand wrap

[www.flickr.com]

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.metropcs.net.91.65.in-addr.arpa)
Date: January 20, 2012 01:35AM

Bill I don't use the Forhan wrap on anything but micros unless I'm using C.P. never have any guides pull out. My buddy wrapped a rod a few months ago no Forhan wrap and used C.P. , knocked three guides loose on one trip. Rewrapped it the same way, no C.P. Couldn't get them to budge even trying intentionally to get them to come loose.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 07:12AM

I use the Forhan lockiing wrap.

It is not a bother at all, and I feel it is worth the effort

It can be used as a selling point as well especially with fisherman who have had guides pull out.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 07:37AM

The use of the word "micro" without specifically tying the size and manufacturer to the post may cause unnecessary work and/or problems to custom rod builders with limited micro guide building experience.

Swampland staff builders utilize Amtak, Batson, Fuji and Kigan micro guides for Signature label finished rods.

Visit Micro Central at the ICRBE for personal consultation and instruction.

For Micro guide purchase or specific wrapping suggestions use the Contact Us Link. [www.swamplandtackle.com]

Visit Micro Central at the ICRBE ..

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.metropcs.net.141.174.in-addr.arpa)
Date: January 20, 2012 07:52AM

Bill, I'm speaking of size 3 or 4 Batson micro guides. Unfortunately I can't make the expo this year. Please tell me what you mean by your statement. I know not all micro guides are the same but how is not stating the manufacturer and size when making a generalized statement confusing? Don't take it the wrong way I'm not saying your wrong, just curious as to the reasons you say this as i'm sure what you say will teach me something.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 08:24AM

I use the Forhan wrap on all of my single foot guides. Like Bill said it is a nice selling point and added security. Once you do a rod using it, it becomes very easy.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 08:24AM

Some micro guides have been redesigned by the manufacture specifically to permit wrapping and finishing without utilizing a Forhan Locking wrap. Some guides do not require the Forhan wrap when properly attached. In one case, involving a high failure pull out rate the Forhan wrap provided no benefit whatsoever. The subject is complex and needs to be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Guide Manufacturers, Production Rod Builders & Custom Builders have case history and access to pull testing performed under controlled procedures using certified scales. I have not seen any data for attachments using color preserver. Information is proprietary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 09:13AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.207.---)
Date: January 20, 2012 08:49AM

I use the Forhan wrap on all my single foot guides. I like the way it looks. It won't be found on over the counter rods. It only takes a few more seconds per guide. I'm building custom rods primarily for my self and family occasionally for a charity. I build primarily fly rod with an occasional spinning or casting rod.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2012 10:23AM

Glenn McMurrian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try this link it's much better and faster then the
> Forhand wrap
>
> [www.flickr.com]
> 10/

I couldn't tell from the picture, but isn't this structurally the same as a Forhan? It looks the same just tied backwards.

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 11:16AM

Thanks Bill, that helps.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 11:22AM

never tried it in the reverse ?? Interesting

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 12:13PM

Bill, the Forhan is not a "wrap on top of a wrap." In simple terms, it is a a couple of wraps around the neck of the guide a a few behind the guide. The article is pretty clear on the process! I use it on all single foot guides, as nothing worse then being fishing somewhere remote and having a guide pull out. It is fast and secure. I only build fly rods.

Date: January 20, 2012 12:47PM

I know the wrap I do ALL my single foot guides with it Even Micros

You are wrapping it in the reverse
According to your article

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 01:22PM

I use the Forhan on all my last 3 or 4 giudes. I certainly use them on my salt water rods for the last 5 or 6. Makes me feel better and the customer too. I hate my work to fail and so far two fresh water rod guides have come out on me so the Forhan is my in to stop that. No problems since and that was the only problems I have had. Use what you like and feel comfortable with.

Date: January 20, 2012 05:37PM

Yes Bill it is just about the same but done in reverse and it is much faster and you have allot more control while wrapping it as your hand is always in contact with the Micro Guide so there is never any of that swoosh where did that Micro guide go...oops I lost another one?

Glenn McMurrian

Date: January 20, 2012 05:48PM

But

Are you going around the blank with every wrap around the post or stem of the guide ???

Sounds like you go around the post - three times and never go around the blank three times ???

Not he same

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 20, 2012 06:31PM

I cannot explain how to do it in wrighting so I will have to post some more pics of it So will get back in a few ok

Glenn McMurrian

Date: January 20, 2012 06:45PM

Maybe I should just try it ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 21, 2012 12:56AM

Yes the Forhans locking wrap does work a bit better bill but what it really comes down to is what is the point of even having this wrap in the first place as if you go back to the old days of Shimono BATAM rods and reels if you remember some of there bait casting rods used one footed guides back then and they where wrapped just the same way minus the locking wrap and we never saw those guides come off so it just seems like it really is not needed at all.

Glenn McMurrian

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster