I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread tensioner
Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 08:25AM

I use a flexcoat hand wrapper which I have modified over the years. I added a magnetic tension device which is magnetic for my metallic thread use and it works fine. I recently purchased a thread tensioner that also has the tension wire with the loop at the end so that some tension is maintained when you back up on a wrap. iT IS My question is that the wire is 8 inches tall. Where do I mount it so the wire doesnt interfere with the blank on the wrapper ? and my hand wrapper has the little wooden slide with the eye on it that i put my thread thru so I can adjust the angle of the thread as I wrap down the blank. Would I pull the thread thru the wire tensioner loop and again thru the loop on my hand wrapper ? I assumed that the thread tensioner would be mounted on the back side of the hand wrapper but the width of the board is only 7 inches wide. so the wire hits the rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread tensioner
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 10:57AM

Frank,
Put the entire thread mount and tension wire behind the hand wrapper. Put it far enough behind the wrapper so that you can come off the thread stand, through your wire tension loop and still be behind your thread eye on your wrapper.

I would assume that your table has enough width for the thread stand to be moved back this far?

However, I do wonder, do you really need the added wire tensioner loop? I had a wire tensioner loop on my wrapper for a couple of days when I first started wrapping, but found that I was really much better off by not having the tensioner loop in the way for my wrapping.

Your choice.

Roger

Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 02:49PM

Rodger, Thanks for the input. I have been wrapping without one for two years. I just got one to try it out. It does seem like it may be more of a hindrance than help. I just wanted to try it out of curiousity. So I wanted to put it in the right position to use it properly before I make a final decision. To me it looks like the only way it can work is if it is in front of me between me and the blank. I am not certain I will like that.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 04:13PM

If you have to go - back - it will help to keep tension on the thread so it does not --- unravel --

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster