I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wrapping eyes
Posted by: Jack Fraser (---.fftp.comporium.net)
Date: January 05, 2012 03:12PM

After finishing my 4th rod and getting better after each rod I have to ask a question Is there anything on the market that will help you put on guides. I would think that there would be something like a shrink wrap that could be put on that would take the place of thread wrap. That might sound like a dumb question and if there was a thing like that it would take the fun out of wrapping HaHa Anyway I was thinking of it because Im haveing a problem with Micro eyes. Holding them in place while I wrap once I start it up the foot everything is alright I have tryed tape. tryed hot glue and was told to try O rings Thanks Jack

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping eyes
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 05, 2012 03:20PM

Jack - ask a dentist for a sample of these. I bought two boxes from my dentist.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Chuck

Posted by: Scott Kleppe (---.196.51.216.dyn.southslope.net)
Date: January 05, 2012 03:29PM

Try DUCO Cement.It is available at any hardware store. It is quick dry, but yet you are still able to just pop it right off. You will still be able to move the guide if you need to once the wrap is done. It also will fill the gap if any under the guide foot. It does not form a permanent bond to the blank. I love it!

SK Custom Rods
American Tackle Pro Staff

Fish now, cause you'll be dead for a long time.

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 05, 2012 03:32PM

try a wide piece of tape with a slit cut on the edge. Guide foot under thin side and wide side behind guide. Haven't tried dental bands yet, but will soon.

Date: January 05, 2012 03:43PM

Guys, seriously. No need for tape or glue. Just get the tiny bands. It could not get any easier.

I don't know how one could put guides on a blank, deflect it and adjust guides for proper line path any other way.

Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 03:45PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: January 05, 2012 05:06PM

Fuji Hot Melt Glue is the answer for me.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 05, 2012 05:10PM

I am new at this I tried the dentil bands as well as different types of tape was not happy with it . then I tried elastic tthread from any sewing store [as thin as possable] cut a foot off the thread an tie one end on rod leave a 2 inch pig tale, put the guide under the loop then strech the remainder, an rap some more then tie it again if it is a 2 foot guide ues 2 foot of thread then keep rapping , the 2nd foot after the tie , an then tie again, the guide is tight an can be moved around to line up as well as up & down , then you can cut the thread on one side an then go to the other side as you rap, no tape left on guipe or rod , as i have big fingers an worry about breaking the tip section [it is small] there will be 3 ties, 1 to start the thread 1 to finish the frist foot an the 3rd if the guide is a 2 foot guide an then cut as you work back with the wrap.
I HOPE I MADE SENCE
Bill

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 05, 2012 05:10PM

Flex Coat makes a guide foot adhesive that works great!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 05, 2012 05:22PM

Two options for those who build micro rods..

1.. Use small tie wraps or bands like Chuck notes and align visually before wrapping.- the tie wrap or band is snipped after the wrap is started.

or

2. Mark exactly the position of the point of the guide foot prior to wrapping . Start the thread wrap before guide placement and use nothing to hold the guide but thread. After a few loops wiggle the guide into position. A little practice some find this faster.

The "tunnnel" under the bottom of a guide foot should be filled filled with finish.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2012 06:38PM

I use dental bands to test with and then I put mine on similar to what Bill is describing in #2. I start my wrap and then lay the guide down on the blank. I wiggle the guide into the wrap just enough to hold it while I turn the rod. I wrap high on the foot for the first few turns and then pull the guide back a little while tightening the thread and closing the gap. I works well and I have gotten fairly fast at it. No need for anything to hold the guide while trying to wrap it if you practice.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2012 07:05PM

dental bands are nice but not as tight holding as the Surgical tubing cut into pieces. doest a great darn job.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 05, 2012 07:22PM

Gabe, I have the smallest surgical tubing available and the .1 OD dental bands are way tighter.

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2012 08:49PM

Chuck what is the sizeing for the dental banding

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 05, 2012 09:08PM

The first rod I wrapped, I taped on the guides, aligned them and put a little crazy glue on each one. Then I took the tape off and wrapped. I haven't done it that way since because I thought maybe it wasn't such a great idea to put glue on the blank but it worked great and I still have that rod and use it. Good luch realigning or replacing a guide, though, without possibly taking off some finish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 09:11PM by Greg Foy.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: January 06, 2012 06:38AM

I do option 2 that Bill Stevens mentions. I use the bands used to make skirts for like spinnerbaits to hold the guides in place testing, then mark the locations on the blank. I grind down just the tip of the guide foot so the thread easily catches the guide as it is wrapped around the blank. With the proper guide foot prep, I hardly have to wiggle the guide to get it under the thread.

Date: January 06, 2012 08:30AM

corky fleming Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chuck what is the sizeing for the dental banding

Corky - I bought the .12 OD ones. [www.rodbuilding.org]
I use them for most of the guides on bass & walleye rods up to 8'. They tend to break if you try to force them much past 5/16" expansion. On a typical rod I will slide on two or three of the tiny latex tubing bands (I bought 25' of the 1/32 ID from Reef Scuba), then 4, 5 or 6 of the dental bands for the micros (5mm and under).

I tried the cable ties. At that time I was using Batson 3mm micros and it was a pain due to the short foot. Then I nicked a high dollar blank while snipping one off with a 5" electronic flush wire cutter. I also scratched the finish on a painted blank trying to slide a guide a during a loaded guide spacing. That was enough.

We all need to use what works best for us. I sell rods, and my time is money. This is quicker for me. With the bands I can space the guides static, then load the blank and adjust the guides, then wrap. I'm just saying that its something to try if micros are giving you fits.

Chuck

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 06, 2012 08:59AM

There is another way to do a micro guide but it only works with hand wrapping.
If you are working to a pattern for a rod blank you have built before and are using that previous rod spacing its particularly effective:
Do a bit of the wrap where you want the guide. I do about 8 to 10 turns.
Then take the guide and work the middle of its foot under the thread in the opposite direction to how you have been wrapping.
Not the end, the middle part of the foot. Do this 4 or 5 times. On longer feet the tip at this stage may even extend backwards beyond where you started your wrap.
That's OK.
You are moving the guide around the blank not the thread and so achieving a wrap. They are light and will now stay in place using just the wrapping thread. Now do a few more turns with the thread in the usual way until you have as much on the foot as would cover from its tip to the middle.
Now push the guide forward until tip is no longer peeking out( try get it lined up fairly well at this stage) and finish winding as per usual. You will have a wrapped guide with 4 or 5 winds before the foot starts which is what i want.
It takes a few tries to get it right and you should practice it on some scrap until you get the hang of it.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: January 06, 2012 09:27AM

Chuck, I got my first batch of those bands last month. All I can say is "WAY BETTER"! Especially when static testing.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2012 02:17PM

Fuji Guidefoot adhesive x 10. I love that stuff.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2012 03:52PM

If your talking about the micro guide moving up the blank as you try to get the wrap over the guide foot tip why not just wrap some masking tape in front of the guide so it will not slide foward. Still use the dental band. Then adjust the guide for alignment which you should be able to do.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster