I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Heaviest custom rod settings currently available
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 12:46PM

you have 4 problems # 1 casting rod for bait , # 2 you need a fighting rod , [not same as casting rod] # 3 a reel to hold all the line [BIG SPOOL] # 4 need a big spike to tie you too when he runs, to get the bait out use a KITE, BALLON, or a RC modle plane { need a 2nd person to fly it ] good luck let us know how it works out for you

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: keith corwin (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 23, 2011 08:33PM

Charles, is your customer the guy that fishes Lower Matacumbe Islamorada at about mile marker 74 just north of Ann's beach? If not there is a guy there that fishes big sharks and always draws a crowd. The bull shark that I saw him catch was 8 or 9 ft. long. I had been wade fishing for bone fish there a couple days before kinda gave me the willies. He fishes mostly at night and it is not unsual to see him fighting a fish late morning.

Posted by: Don Morse (99.102.150.---)
Date: December 23, 2011 08:37PM

As a Michigan guy fishing mostly small inland lakes I am really enjoying reading this post.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 11:28PM

Don't know how heavy the fish was, but we caught a huge great white using the entrance buoy to USCG Johnston Island Loran Station as the bobber. Not so sure I would have wanted to be on the end of that tussle, the buoy took a serious lik'en for quite some time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2011 10:14AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Charles Brown (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 24, 2011 12:36AM

Hi Kevin, His name is Justin, he does fish that area quite a bit, and I've fished that area with him a few times.

That is his stomping grounds, he drives a blue chevy pickup truck now-a-days. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was him.

We have pulled numerous bulls off those flats, and just a little further south, between "bud and marry's and "Robbies" where you hand feed the tarpon, we get big hammerheads in excess of 10 feet, around the bridge. I don't swim there anymore!

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 27, 2011 02:10PM

Long rods are only a problem if you keep the tip UP when fighting the sharks. Point it at the shark while fighting and the leverage problem starts to go away.
Closer in raise it for last minute surge absorption/wave action and head of fish control.
Wear a fishing belt always for the butt of the rod or you can literally die from internal organ damage. 500 Lbs of bull shark, 12 ft of rod tip and 18 inches from reel to butt and you are in very serious danger if things go wrong.
Kites are your friend for getting baits out from rocks where there is wind. As are balloons with lifesaver candy melt away tie on rings. Great in a rip current, plus where the shark would expect food to be.
Sliding your bait out to your pre-cast weight also helps with distance casting if you cannot slide or kite the bait out. You can slide a whole blue fish out way farther than you could ever cast it.
I fished for raggies ( sand tiger?), cow shark, bulls, giant rays and skates back in South Africa on 13.5 ft rods and never had a leverage problem from too long a rod.
All from a rock or beach position.
OK plus i was 20 years younger!
Cheap nylon line is your friend here as a leader, it stretches and takes the place of you rod tip to a degree as a shock absorber. After first few runs crank down the drag, point the rod AT the fish and you will be amazed at how fast you get that shark out.
Oh and the blanks were all New Zealand made, cannot recall the make.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 29, 2011 01:29PM

I fish down in the Florida Keys on occasion. In the daytime we fish for small Snapper, Grouper, and Sea Trout with the same custom popping rods I make for bass.

At night, I'll throw a small 3.5" - 4" live bait out on a balloon for small sharks and tarpon. I use a 25lb. rod and a 5000 size spinning reel. We catch sharks up to 5' long. Every now and then, a big one will hit and spool the reel and just keep on going. If it's too big, I don't want to see it, LOL! Pulling in cars is just not my style of fishing, LOL!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster