I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Heaviest custom rod settings currently available
Posted by: Boghy Brock (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 02:04AM

If someone would tell you - i'll pay you $2,000 to make me a rod that can handle a 1,500lbs shark from land - meaning - no option to chase the shark with a boat - what would be your answer on that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heaviest custom rod settings currently available
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2011 02:29AM

A potato gun to launch the bait on a steel cable attached to a winch on the front of a truck. After the shark swims off with the bait, flip the switch on the winch, and hope that the winch wins.

I look forward to the responses on this one :)

Joe

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns11.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 23, 2011 06:31AM

Hi Boghy,
There was an Aussie guy in Newcastle landing a lot of big White Pointers off Stockton Beach. Got no idea what sort of rod he was using but it was a 130lb game rod and he had a game chair set up on the front of a four wheel drive. They used a surf ski to take the baits out and he landed quite a few very large pointers before he got banned from doing it.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: December 23, 2011 07:44AM

Hello Boghy

Seeker IGFA130 5'10" 130+ line tip: 29, butt: 1.180. an American Tackle SB6 3piece butt. Aftco wire roller guides,a veerryy large reel, a lot of wire, a big hook, a lot of rope and a big tree to tie yourself to.
Oh yea a large road kill animal(or half a cow) for bait.

Good Luck?!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2011 07:55AM

Joe,

That is a hillarious answer.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 07:56AM

Hands down, Calstar IGFA 130 or the 180 full length with 6 rollers.

Take a look at my website. Thats pretty what much I build for.

Kevin

www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 08:50AM

How would you get the bait out there, sans surf ski?

Joe's answer appears to have the best chance of success!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: December 23, 2011 09:49AM

Yup, getting the bait out there and fighting the fish are at odds. For one you want a longer rod and for one you want a shorter rod. All the surf stuff I see leans towards a longer rod than what one would choose for a boat for the same fish.

In my area some have used radio controlled boats to send the baits out.

Personally I would go a little longer and lighter on the rod and go with a lot of line on the reel. I want the line/rod to absorb shock and keep a tight line as the waves and the fish moves. These days you could get about 2 miles of 130# JB hollow on an 80 wide two speed.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 10:03AM

How about the one like the guy on ther movie Jaws?

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 10:07AM

This oddball stuff fascinates me. Here's a weird idea that just popped into my head:

Build two rods: one for casting, one for fish fighting. For casting, use a 12- or 13-foot high-tech surf blank, like the stuff from CTS or Century. Match it with a real that can really cast, like the Daiwa Emblem Pro or the Penn Squall if you prefer convench. Line capacity is not hugely important, because this reel will be casting, not fighting the fish. Use whatever gauge braided fishing line you think is needed to fight the fish (80 lb.?). Configure the rod the way distance casters do, with everything set up for casting distance, not for fish fighting.

The second rod is your basic 130-lb. pelagic rod, about five feet long, with roller guides, etc.

Now here's the fun part: you set up the 130-outfit on the beach: you get a fighting chair, harness, etc., and you put the rod in the gimbal. The reel is spooled, and the line is through the roller guides, but there's nothing on the end of it.

Then you cast the long surf rod. After the cast, you cut the line, and splice it, either with a knot or some kind of swivel, to the line on the 130-lb. outfit. Sit in the chair, pop open a Grape Nehi, and wait for this 1,500-lb. shark to take your bait.

What the heck -- this might work, right?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 10:18AM

Chris,
I would expand on your thoughts.
Two rods - one for fishing and one to get the bait out. But to get the bait out, as long as you had off shore winds, use a Kite and a kite rod. Then, use a radio controlled line drop so that when you had the bait out far enough with the kite rod, you could push a button and drop the bait into the ocean.

Pick up the other rod and start fishing. I have plenty of radios and equipment to easily build a drop for the kite rod. Of course, this only works well if the area you are fishing has off shore and not on shore winds.

Roger

Posted by: Rich Olson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 10:22AM

Check out www.southfloridasharkclub.com

It is a site dedicated to fishing large sharks from land.

~ Rich O

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2011 11:03AM

It's common practice among many local King fishermen to use a long surf rod to fire out an anchor line, and then run another line out on that one to hold the bait and fight the fish from. When the fish (shark) hits the bait, the fighting rig snaps loose from the anchor line and you're back to direct contact via the shorter, more powerful fighting rod.

Maybe you can sell the guy two rods.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (138.239.74.---)
Date: December 23, 2011 11:18AM

Tom's idea is most the practical, but personally I'd go with the potato gun. Way more fun!

Posted by: Charles Brown (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 11:51AM

I had a build I completed for a guy in the Florida Keys that was kinda similar, here's what worked for him.
the objective was that he wanted to "be able to catch Volkswagons" as he put it.
He fishes for large sharks from land, and sometimes bridges in the florida keys.

What ended up as the final result was a 9 foot rod built from a " boat arial antenna"
found a 20 foot shakespaer yacht antenna at a flea market, bar none the beefiest fiberglass blank I have found!
after finding a suitable section that would give the power needed, I cut it to size and built the rod , used aftco bigfoot rollers, and everything else was built just like any other build.

the thing turned out awesome, and indestructible, he fished with an 80wide international as the reel of choice, and consistently catches bull-sharks, hammerheads, and the likes from the 400pound range up to 800-900 lb hammerheads with it, all from land, he just uses big balloons to float the baits out to wherever he wants it, like a big bobber.

His fighting technique is to wedge himself into the sand sitting down, jam the butt of the rod into the sand like a fighting belt, and "go to work"

I know it was un-orthodoxed, but it really gets the job done.. will post pics of it soon.

static test was to hook it up to the bumper of his bronco and pull it down the street.. it was a complete success..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2011 12:02PM

Now that's what I call a custom rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 12:10PM

Here are more for the list [www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 23, 2011 12:21PM

just posted a pic on the photo page of him "static testing the rod, sorry for the poor quality, but you'll get the idea of scale, and fighting position he uses as the "optimal fighting method".

he was successfully reeling in his '79 ford bronco in this pic.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 12:30PM

I can see him sliding along the ground as he pulls it in LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 23, 2011 12:35PM

yup! he did , it was awesome, and funny watching him in action.

he left "tracks in the sand". but he always won.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster