I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP for the last time
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 28, 2011 04:18PM

Sorry to rehash this again ,but Im still having problems with my CP . No matter what I use I still get some blotchy looking thread work. My hands r clean. I apply a lot of CP on to the point that it is sagging and the threads are soaked . then I remove the excess off the bottom of the the rod until its smooth looking. never touching the threads with the brush for fear of bubbles. Even when I do this I see on occasion a spot that looks lighter than the rest of the area. I always rationalize that its the last area that I have treated and the CP has not soaked thru. 2 things entered my mind 1 I am compulsive abt packing the threads very tight is it possible that the cp cant get through?2 Perhaps Im not leaving the CP on long enough? thanks for your patience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP for the last time
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 28, 2011 04:29PM

I find that when I CP i do it and get better results when on a turner and the rod is turning

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2011 05:40PM

You may be asking too much of the CP. When working with dark colored rod blanks, you have to avoid using large areas of lighter colored thread. It's like trying put white paint over a black wall.

When using light thread on large areas over a dark rod blank, you may wish to try NCP thread.

Posted by: Milt deReyna (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2011 11:31PM

"never touching the threads with the brush for fear of bubbles"? Then how are you applying the CP? Sounds like you're making the chore more complicated than it is. Don't know if this will help, but here's how I do it. I take a cheap Flex Coat yellow brush, and clip the bristles in half so the brush is stiffer. Dip the brush in the CP and apply briskly to the wrap while spinning the rod slowly on the lathe. Make sure and fill the tunnel down the sides of the guide feet. If you're using a water based CP, you will likely get some bubbling, it's not a problem. Just get the excess off of your brush and then use the brush to wick off the excess CP, and wipe off the brush on a clean paper towel. Repeat until excess and bubbling is gone. Any excess left on the wrap to dry can form whitish splotches where it pools up. If you're using a solvent based CP, like Cason's, you won't get bubbles, but it's still a good idea to wick off the excess. Remember, 2 or 3 light coats with CP, is much preferable to one big sloppy coat. Hope that helps.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 01:53AM

I am thinking like Bill is that you are asking to much from the CP and one example would be if a person wraps over a guide foot with nylon tried like yellow or even red with CP over it you will always be able to see a darker red or yellow where the dark guide foot is no matter how much CP you use it,s just how it is.

Glenn McMurrian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster