I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Answers to some cork staining questions
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse5.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 28, 2011 03:55AM

Hi Guys,
A recent post and a test of my own left some unanswered questions. There's only one way to find out - do some more tests and see what happens. 1/2 Stained a couple of cork rings with woodstain, western cedar and rose mahogany,then gave them a coat of U40 cork sealer. Next day did some "wear" tests which was scrubbing the rings with a nail brush and some liquid soap. After about a minute of scrubbing the stain started to disappear and by two minutes was almost completely gone. So stain won't stay on cork rings even with cork sealer which is a shame as I had rebuild coming up and the western cedar would have looked good on the cork grips. I might do some more tests with three or four coats of sealer and see what happens but I don't think it would be much different. Also noted that there didn't appear to be much of the sealer left either which means I'll have to be careful how I clean my cork grips. Posted some pics in my file of the before and after results for those that are interested. Some how the comments on the photo's are the wrong way round but you'll figure it out.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2011 03:58AM by Col Chaseling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Answers to some cork staining questions
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 28, 2011 08:21AM

You could put Permagloss or Lumiseal over it It will just feel like a hard wood handle when made up

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2011 10:05AM

why make it like hardwood? just use hardwood if that is what you want..cork will not take a dye or stain to my knowledge even using a vacuum or pressure pot....

Posted by: Joe Johnson (---.static.orml010.digis.net)
Date: September 28, 2011 12:08PM

Thanks for posting your results. I had my suspicions all along.

I thought it would be very cool to have a black set of cork grips.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 28, 2011 12:19PM

What about a dark colored wood cut into rings and assembled

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 28, 2011 12:28PM

Col, Make the grip out red cedar and if you're worried about weight, Bore it out large enough to epoxy a large Flexcoat arbor in it and then ream to fit. Works great

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 28, 2011 02:37PM

or - if you live near the ocean drift wood works really well and can be super light

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2011 04:06PM

Do you think applying tru-oil over the stain would lock it in by chance? Just a thought.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 28, 2011 08:55PM

There have been numerous posts on the subject of dying or staining cork. It can be done as a surface treatment only, as it is a closed cell structure and liquids (any type) will not penetrate the cells. The surface can be colored by many types of colorants and the coloring can be over coated to seal the surface, but one must keep in mind the surface that yo\u will end up with after the over-coating. Multiple coats of "Cork Seal" are not recommended by the manufacturer.

If you want a colored grip, there are many alternatives, such as EVA, flocking, woods etc.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns17.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 29, 2011 01:49AM

Mike,
It's a rebuild and the cork grips and reelseat are in good nick so I'm going to leave them. Was just looking for something a little different and the cedar colour would have looked good. Any finsh that you put on cork apart from cork seal takes away the cork feel. I've got a really old rod of my dad's and the cork has been finished with some sort of varnish. Still feels ok but not as good as cork without finish.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster