I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9/10 wt reel choices
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2011 06:37PM

I discovered a rod I built years ago (duh) that I've never fished. I think it was an Austin Allstar 3 piece that was suppose to be a 6 or 7 weight, but at 70 pennies, it finished up with an ERN of 8.84. So I think I'll take it Salmon fishing next year and it needs it's own reel.

I saw a Redington Delta 9/10 yesterday for about $240 and I thought it seemed to have a real nice drag. I saw online a Pflueger New President 2090 that looked nice as well for about $75 or so less than the Delta. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with either of these reels - a good drag with an easy start up inertia is my primary concern for Salmon? Medicare is on the near horizon and I don't want to part with alot of money right now, thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9/10 wt reel choices
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2011 07:11PM

Waterworks Lamson made a great reel called the Radius which is now discontinued.

These reels can still be found. If you send me an email I can connect you with a possible source for a new one.

The Radius 4 is sized for a 9/10 line. The great thing about these reels is their totally sealed drag.

It's the same concentric system used on the company's current high end reels like the Lightspeed and ULA Force.

I saw one for sale for $200 not long ago. Spare spools can be had for $120 or so.

I own one such reel and it is a seriously excellent reel; far better than it's price point would indicate.

It even compares well with the far more expensive Van Staal C-Vex reel I own.

The Lamson Radius's are highly sought after by Spey fishermen too.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2011 07:44PM

I think you should look at / consider the reels sold by Angler's Roost. I own several and have given several to friends. They are an amazing reel for the price.
Price:
=================== From the site =======================
#204M Aluminum Med Arbor Fly Reel - Titanium

A Truly high quality Machined Aluminum Reel at an Affordable Price. I mean this Reel is Exquisite. It has features as Fine as any reel I’ve seen. AND YOU DON’T NEED A WEEK’S PAYCHECK TO AFFORD IT.

It measures 4 1/8th inches in diameter and has a spool width of 13/8th inch.. It weighs 215 Grams. That is 5 grams over 7 ounces. It is made to accommodate a 9/10 wt line. It is Made of Machined Aluminum Highly Polished So Finely Polished you cannot see a single machine line. It is than anodized to a Lustrous Titanium Finish. The Aluminum is of Aircraft Strength, Hardness and Quality.It is 100% Machined. NO CASTINGS

$69.95Price:

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 24, 2011 07:45PM

The same company makes the Pflueger and the Reddington reels - often they're exactly the same but with different handles.

The Pflueger President or Trion would be my choice.

Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2011 08:13PM

I own several different reels in the 9/10 wt range including:
Lamson Radius, Velocity (two different generations)
Pfleuger Trion
Tioga
Redington Brakewater
Albright Tempest

If you are looking to stay at $250 or less you have a ton of choices. If I was buying new today my choices would be:
Lamson Guru ($230ish)
Orvis Hydros ($230ish)

Reels I have not tried but hear good things about :
Echo Ion (on the low end at $100)
Colton Torrent ($210ish if you are patient)

Botton line for me in this price category is the drag for the type of fishing you are going to do. For that reason, I don't like the Trion. It also does not do well in salt water. I've found some really good deals on Tioga (Teton), Lamson and Albright reels.

Quinn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2011 02:15AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.253.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2011 09:49AM

So Pflueger and Reddington are Shakespeare, Shimano is G. Loomis, and Madoff is Abel? What's in a name? Evidently something.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2011 09:57AM

There are only a small handful of companies that make fishing reels. The same company that makes the Pflueger reels, that most are familiar with, make the same reel in a slightly different form for a dozen other companies, many of whom are well known, but like Pflueger, are not actually in the manufacturing business.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2011 03:40PM

Well, based on the help here and some reviews online, I'm thinking somewhere between a Lamson Radius 3.5 versus the Okuma Helios 8/9 - too dang many decisions.

Help me!

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: September 25, 2011 06:15PM

Look to at the Teton "Classic"--Modern equivalent of the Teton Tioga.

It's made in the US, and isn't much more money than a decent import. The drag is good, it's saltwater safe and a very durable reel. Should be about $200. My 8 year old Tioga just keeps on going. A nice reel for $200.

Current favorite reel is the Galvan "Torque", they are more $$, but still significantly less than the crazy $$ reels out there.

Drew

Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2011 08:56PM

Go with the Lamson Radius. The Okuma has the similar low drag pressure design that the Trion has. A new or used Radius 3.5 will set you back about $130. Better drag, made in the US and Lamson will stand behind the reel. Good luck getting Okuma to do the same. Parts are available but through a third party. At Lamson you will be speaking to the factory.

Quinn

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: September 25, 2011 09:19PM

Check out the Angler's Roost 104 or 204 reels. I have one and they are nice..

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 03:08PM

Sea Level Flyfishing bought out the old Albright Tempest reels and the 9/10 is a great value. [www.sealevelflyfish.com]. The newer TempestS have been updated but either style is a great value. Have clients using them on False Albecore, striped bass and tarpon. I personally fish the Bauer Rogues and absolutely love them but do have a few rods set up witht he Tempest reels and they hold their own and for $220 yough to beat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster