I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fighting Rod for Pier king fishing
Posted by: Jacob Thompson (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2011 09:09PM

Im looking into building a fighting rod for king fishing from the pier and I was looking at a Super Seeker Blank, specifically the Jig and Bait SS-CJBF70M, its 25-40 lb line, medium action. What do you all think? Let me know of any other recommendations you have as well.

Thanks
Jacob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fighting Rod for Pier king fishing
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2011 10:03PM

If its a 7' blank you are looking for. check out the Seeker Hercules Inshore lite. Sick blank. rated 15-30lb test but you can easily catch a 40lber on it. its a fast action. but it has a sort of cushion when it bends. its a really nice blank. contact Billy Vivona from the NERBS if you want more info. he designed it.

xlrods@yahoo.com

Date: September 24, 2011 10:30PM

What power does that model have? It sounds interesting and it sounds like it has a light tip but a lot of power and backbone which is what i need.

Posted by: Eric Guarino (---.sub-174-252-140.myvzw.com)
Date: September 25, 2011 09:35AM

I like a 8 to 9 for the pier. Gator t80 or 90, batson 1087. 15 to 20 lb line with 302, 704 or 706

Date: September 25, 2011 10:34PM

Also, Im looking to get some green and gold thread for the guide wraps. Ive already picked ou the right gold colored thread but not the green. I found some Green Metallic ProWrap on mudhole and some Green FishHawk Colorlok. Which one should I get and should I use metallic threads on a guide wrap?

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.136.---)
Date: September 26, 2011 07:19AM

I like the main part of the winding to be regular thread with the trim metallic. I think all metallic is sometimes too gaudy. Everyone has their own tastes.

Re the blank, I would go 8 1/2 or 9 feet for long casting distance. I use Rainshadow XST 1024F (8 1/2) for casting and XST 1084F (9) for spinning for kings. I appreciate the length to soften the strike a bit, to absorb some of the energy, and the casting distance, which is much longer than my 7 foot rods.

Date: September 26, 2011 06:37PM

Im not really worried about casting distance since I use a trolley rig set up with two rods (anchor and fighting) so the only rod that I have to cast is my anchor rod.

Posted by: Andrew Cake (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2011 03:03PM

I use at least a 7'6" rod for my fighting rod. I try not to use a real fast action tip. I prefer more of a heavier tip (20) just due to the fact that when you get the fish to the pier the length helps you keep the fish off the pier during the gaffing or netting process. and a thicker tip because you might need the extra power if the fish starts to fight again and you have him out of the water and its not a solid gaff. I have seen plenty of break offs that way, and I mean the tip breakage. We all know that whoever is on the gaff or net might not be that experienced, lol cause sometimes its whos on the pier that is helping you might not have that experience. OBX,NC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster