I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: building power wrapper
Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: September 25, 2011 06:40PM

Ohhh yeah I have the ability to loosen the "tower" and turn it left and right.... not that it helps but to me it may be beneficial

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2011 06:53PM

I use 1/4" all thread that goes through the vertical board and sticks out on each side. My main carriage is set up so that a spool, washers, spring and wing nut or clip will fit on the all thread. I have 2 pieces of all thread, one on top, one on bottom. All together I can hold 4 spools, 2 on each side. there is no need for an adjustment for up and down movement that I can see. Are you planning on drilling through that pipe and then putting in all thread horizontally? That's what it looks like anyway. You have plenty of height for as many as you want. My secondary carriage has longer all thread that holds the large Madeira spools.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: September 25, 2011 07:01PM

You got it... I plan on drilling straight through the rod then I can have spools on both sides. I figure I should be able to get 7 + on each side at a minimum.

Then if I happen to ever need additional I can make another rod with different spools.. I however dont ever see that being an issue though

Can you tell me the diameter of a typical spool of thread... I dont have any so I need to know how far apart to drill

Date: September 25, 2011 07:20PM

O.D. is 1 1/4" for a 100yd spool (most of what you will use). Leave space so that you can reach in between if you need to. I.D. is 1/4" so use 1/4" all thread. I doubt you will need 7 spools at one time even for decorative wrapping. You will want your carriage to be able to move back and forth the length of your wrapper if possible though. Also, you will need eyelets in front of the spools in some fashion to keep the thread from coming off the side of the spool. Refer to the pictures I posted to see what I mean on that.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: September 25, 2011 09:48PM

Well I think we may be in business. I can place eyelets as needed and the carriage will go the entire length of the bed without moving anything...

I think im gonna drill the tower for the spools and install the all-thread or whatever I use,.. Then once everything is finished decide where to put the eyelets and spring steel.

Date: September 25, 2011 10:05PM

Glad to help. Where are you located? There may be a builder or two near you. We have a group of guys here in Ohio who meet once a month and we have a big gathering Nov. 5th. at the Ramada in Canton, OH if you are interested or close to here.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: September 25, 2011 10:07PM

Glad to help. Where are you located? There may be a builder or two near you. We have a group of guys here in Ohio who meet once a month and we have a big gathering Nov. 5th. at the Ramada in Canton, OH if you are interested or close to here. Here's our homepage. You can check out the different pages and the details. There are also links you may be interested in on the website.

[ohiorodbuilders.wordpress.com]

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: September 25, 2011 10:13PM

Im in Louisville KY... The gathering is a few miles away but you never know... If I have a couple free days its not too awful far.... Ill check out the website and see what you all have going on.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 12:41AM

Casey,
Before you set up anything permanent for your thread stand, you should do some wrapping with the spools in different locations.

For the bulk of my wrapping, I just use a simple spool sitting on a rod and then have the thread run through a guide up a stick to a thread tension device. The stick is clamped between two angle brackets so the height of the rod can be adjusted.

I have found that for myself, I like the thread to be coming toward the rod at the same level as the rod. i.e. I don't want the thread coming down or the rod, nor coming up on the rod.

I have my rod rests set at 7 inches. this height works very well for the way that I have my rod building bench height and the height of my chair.

Again, all of these dimensions are variable and can be set at anything, depending on the needs of the builder.

Again, I suggest that you do some experimenting in at least wrapping scrap blanks with things at various levels, different placement for thread etc. before making any final product for the long haul.

I suppose that I made over a dozen variations of my rod building bench, wrapper, thread stands, etc. before I finally settled on what I have now.

By the way, in deference to one of the other posts - I wrap everything with a power wrapper.

I built my first rod by hand and decided that there had to be a better way.

I think that the reason that so many folks have set aside their power wrapper is that their power wrapper does not give them the rod turning ability and control that they need for a good wrap.

I think that an excellent power wrapper, needs to be able to turn at 1 rpm all day long in both directions.
Then, they need to be able to SMOOTHLY accelerate to any speed desired up to a top wrapping speed that can be handled by the wrapper.
I have settled on 1000 RPM as the top speed for my wrappers. When, I have long wraps, 1000 rpm makes very quick work of a long wrap with 0 finger or hand fatigue from turning a rod.

But, on the other hand, it can turn 1/2 rpm, 1 rpm or any speed up to the 1000 rpm in either direction.

All of this is done with no external step down belts or pulleys or external gears. It is because the motors that I use incorporate a good set of step down gears that are incorporated into the ends of the motor.

I also did some experimenting with DC chopper supplies to run the motors at a constant voltage but a variable pulse width. However, I found that the motors wanted to hunt or hum with these DC chopper supplies.
That is why I went back to a 0-30 volt DC variable voltage foot controlled power supply. Even at a fraction of a volt, there is enough torque to give excellent rod turning results at a very low blank and motor rpm.

I have to admit that I am also like you in the fact that I often enjoy building the tools more than building the rods.
After all, after you have wound a few thousand guides, how exciting does the next guide wrap get?

I also use the non spring loaded foot pedal that I can interchange with any of my power supplies to do rod drying. After wrapping, doing the final guide alignment and blank clean up, I will put the rod back on the wrapper for finish application and drying.
I put pieces of cardboard down on the wrapper bed, so that I don't contaminate the wrapper bed with finish. Then, I will apply the finish at speeds of 0-250 rpm. I will get finish on all parts of the blank and guides needing finish. then go back, slow down the rod and level and smooth each portion of the rod at a slower rpm of 0-50 rpm. When I have everything leveled and smooth, I will set the foot pedal for a speed of about 10 rpm and let it go until the finish sets up. Generally about 4 hours.

If, I am building a bunch of rods the same day, as soon as the finish is on the rod, smooth and level, I will transfer the rod to one of the spots in the 12 rod drum dryer. The drum dryer is powered by a 90 volt dc gearmotor that has a top speed of 50 rpm. I normally set the drum dryer for a speed of about 10 rpm as well.

Then, I go on to the next rod, applying finish as needed and transferring to the drum dryer.

Normally the finish application and getting the dryer to the final speed runs about 5-10 minutes on most rods. When you apply the finish at these speeds, it is only a few seconds per butt wrap or guide for finish application. Then a few more seconds per guide on the 2nd pass to get things level and smooth for the final drying.

I use only the inexpensive 5 cent disposable brushes for finish application. Generally the brush hardly ever touches the blank or guide. The only thing that is really touching the blank or guide is the finish.

--------
I was down at the surplus store a few months ago and picked up a bunch of grooved pulleys with ball bearings in the center. These are about 1 1/2 in inches in diameter and are perfect for rod rest pulleys. I stopped at the hardware store in the plumbing department and picked up a bunch of O rings to put in the grooves, so that the rod is only resting on rubber. The rod rests are formed by two pulleys on the lower bar and one pulley centered above the two lower pulleys on the upper bar. I have both bars cantilevered out from a vertical post that is mounted to a base, that is in turn fastened to the wrapper base. Having the rod rests cantilevered out from the stands behind the rod allows the wrapper to have his hands directly under or beside the rod stands for easy wrapping.

Some of my first stands used full width stands that were as wide as the wrapper base, which meant that the hands could not be under the rod, and often required movement of the stand to better wrap a particular guide.

However, I still use the full width ball bearing stands for my full length rod lathe. I use the full length rod lathe, when I glue up a handle on the blank and then chuck the entire rod into the full length rod lathe. I use a 3600 1/2 hp ac 120 volt buffer motor to spin the rod. It is essential that everything be well balanced or the blank can explode with bad things happening. But, as long as things are balanced, and the rod is spinning merrily along at 3600 rpm, it is quick work to shape a handle on the full length rod lathe.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line at:

hflier@comcast.net

Roger

Date: September 26, 2011 10:42PM

Well the wrapper is on hold for a day or two... My lathe chuck is shot and I need to grind the jaws in hopes of truing it up. So I am gonna fool with that tomorrow.

Anyways I should be back on it within a day or so.

Date: September 26, 2011 11:16PM

I agree, you definitely want it to turn true (as much as you can). Some wobble can be taken out with good roller supports such as mine or those described by Roger. Mine are a lot like Roger's and you can see them in the links to the pictures I posted recently.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: September 27, 2011 12:05AM

Im talking about my metal cutting lathe.. not my rod wrapper...

My metal lathe chuck has some issues... it may be a dead duck

Date: September 27, 2011 12:43AM

That sounds like it could be expensive.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 27, 2011 05:31PM

How many rods have you built -- how long have you been building

If you have just started -- hand wrap find out what and if you like it -- then get into this

Your money and time - just a thought

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 27, 2011 06:11PM

Bill, he said he already had the motor and other stuff to build a power wrapper with. He's also got a machine shop in his garage and the ability to make just about anything he needs. Read all of the posts so you can see where he's at and what others have told him.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: September 27, 2011 11:26PM

David Dosser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That sounds like it could be expensive.

Well lucky for my i'm a redneck. LOL I was able to rig up a sort of tool post grinder and grind the jaws back into spec. So the lathe is back in business minus a few other minor issues I need to work out...

Now tomorrow is back to the rod wrapper

Date: September 30, 2011 12:46AM

Okay quick question.. I was thinking about the actual coating process and was worried about epoxy dripping on the wrapper bed... Would it be beneficial to build the wrapper so the rod was held out away from the bed... This was in the event epoxy drips, it is not on the wrapper bed...

It wouldn't be a big deal for me to change things around and build it that way... I havent seen many built that way but if its beneficial im all ears.

Date: September 30, 2011 09:01AM

I just normally apply mine while it's on the dryer which is separate from my wrapper. If you apply it while on the wrapper it's really easy just to put something underneath: paper towel, cardboard etc. When I apply it on the dryer I usually just hold my tin foil cup under the wrap while I apply it. If it were me, I wouldn't worry about building it so the rod is held out away from the bed.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: September 30, 2011 10:39AM

Well at this point its no more trouble to build it overhanging away from the rod bed since I have not built the arms yet. Im still contemplating how I want to build them

I had planned on using some round tubing however after seeing a pic on here of someone who made the posts out of square stock and some awsome looking wheels I may go that route.

Date: September 30, 2011 04:19PM

Does anyone know where to get larger o-rings... roughly 2-2.5" dia..

Lowes and the typical box stores dont seem to have them

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster