I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

engraving rods
Posted by: Bill Graham (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2011 07:55PM

Is it possible to engrave name, weight ect. on a rod blank, Using a vibrating engraving too,. Then putting a layer of epoxy over it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: engraving rods
Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: September 20, 2011 08:14PM

Bill...i am absolutely certain you would compromise the Structural Intergrity of the Rod Blank by Engraving anything on it with a Rotary tool...i would stick with the Decal...Tried, Tested, and True so to speak...Cheers!!!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 20, 2011 08:14PM

Dangerous!!! You almost surely would be nicking the carbon fibers and creating weak spots.

Posted by: Bill Graham (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2011 08:34PM

Thanks guys, I have trouble writing on decal materials. Just looking for shortcuts.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 20, 2011 09:04PM

Buy a decal from Decal Connection a sponsor on the left. Economical and done first class.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2011 09:37PM

Hand made inscriptions add a great deal to a rod that is supposedly hand made. Try lettering on a piece of clear tape and transferring that to the rod blank.

You'd never want to engrave anything into a rod blank - blank failure would be the result.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2011 09:45PM

Bill,
If you can't letter well, have someone you know, or the special other - do the lettering for you.
Lots of folks can do a wonderful job of wrapping but have little lettering skill. So, find or hire someone who can do excellent lettering.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: September 21, 2011 11:13AM

If you use aluminum reel seats you can have them engraved.

Posted by: John Straight (---.netsync.net)
Date: September 21, 2011 11:57AM

Bill,

I have tried every labeling method under the sun. Computer printed (ink jet and laser) on white paper with background and print colors, as per RodMaker Magazine. Hand writing on various scotch and packing tapes. Hand writing on commercial water slide and peel-n-stick labeling materials. Using every type and color ink /paint made (I think). Custom printed on water slide and peel-n-stick materials. All work with varying degrees of success, but without a doubt the best is HAND DONE ON BLANK BY A CALLIGRAPHER. I have a young woman who does mine ($10-&15 per rod). She actually designed a font and monogram for me. I believe her labeling has sold more rods for me than my thread or feather work and it's not bad. A touch of class that creates a truly unique and individual custom rod.

Try it, You'll like it

John

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.metropcs.net.141.174.in-addr.arpa)
Date: September 22, 2011 08:40AM

I suppose if you really wanted to use your engraving tool you could engrave a coat of epoxy, then tint the lettering. I have never seen anytging like and may have a flaw in my thinking, but why wouldnt that work?

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster