I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

It is done.
Posted by: Bryce Abbott (---.lightspeed.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 09:38PM

I finished my first rod. I tried it all. Even a feather inlay. I had some problems along the way. It took me a few tries to get the wraps right so that I could adjust the guides in a straight line. I tried to use some peel and stick labels that I purchased from an advertiser but I had a very difficult time getting them to stay down on the rod after I applied the second coat of finish. Twice I had to peel this off and finally just finished the rod without the labels.
I have a questions about finishing the wraps. I used a small painters knife to apply the finish. It looks like a spatula with a rounded tip. The wraps finished more bead-like than barrel-like even though I was careful to not apply too much finish. I wonder what others use to apply finish. I have read that some don't like the bubbles that can be introduced by a brush but it looks like one could control the amount of finish better with a brush. Larry Garcia's book says use a knitting needle. Any comments?

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It is done.
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 09:53PM

I use brushes of varying width depending upon the wrap width. However......I DON"T BRUSH the epoxy, I use the brush to lay the epoxy on and to finish the ends were the wraps meet the blank. Brushing can create bubbles!

There is a great article about applying epoxy in this sites library!!!

Posted by: Herman Knott (---.static.acsalaska.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 09:58PM

I also use a brush and turn the rod wile applying the finnish.
A good mixer is a must if you start with no bubbles then you dont have to get them out

Date: August 15, 2011 10:19PM

I haven't looked into a mixer yet. I mix such small amounts in a Golden Witch mixing bowl. If I warm the resin in a water bath before I put it in the syringe it get virtually no bubbles. Is it worth having a mixer if you are only mixing enough to 10-12 wraps at a time? And what kind of brushes? Something like the flexcoat yellow handled brushes?

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 10:23PM

The brush is the way to go. I got mine from the craft section at wally world and use denatured alcohol to clean them. Bubbles are apart of it even if you get every bubble out before you apply there is air that is trapped in the thread and under the foot of the guide. A alcohol torch is a good thing to have for bubbles. I only need to put 1 coat of high build and I'm done with the guides. You have to find out what works best for you.

On the decals put 2 coats of cp before the finish to stop the lifting.

Unhide your email.

Date: August 15, 2011 10:36PM

I think it is unhidden now.

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2011 07:15PM

i have tried things other than brushes to apply epoxy, but was unsuccessful.
I tried various types of brushes, but have gone back to the inexpensive disposable brushes, that I pay about 3 cents each for.

As others have said. I don't brush the epoxy. I just load the brush, get the brush close to the rotating blank and the finish is applied.

To get a nice smooth even finish, I just use as much heat as is needed to thin and make the finish free of bubbles.

Just a touch of heat now and then will take care of the issue.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster