I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to figure out the action of a rod which is not labeled
Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: August 15, 2011 09:44PM

Hey all I have a rod which I built roughly 15 years ago. I didn't label the blank so I have no idea what action it is. Is there any good way to judge what it would be... I love this rod and want to build another that would be very similar.

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to figure out the action of a rod which is not labeled
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 15, 2011 09:54PM

Fast - rod initially flexes in the upper 1/3rd of its length.

Medium - rod initially flexes in the upper 1/2 of its length.

Slow - rod initially flexes all along it's entire length.

All rods have a progressive action, of course, and will flex deeply into the butt section once enough load has been applied.

Date: August 15, 2011 10:10PM

is there a specific amount of weight I can attach to judge????

Thanks

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 16, 2011 12:15AM

Casey -
I don't think so. The only way to do that (I think) would be if you were to side-by-side compare blanks from different manufacturers with the same amount of weight suspended from the tip of each rod blank. The manufacturers all have their own determination of "slow, medium, fast" = all very subjective. What can you try? There is a CCS table / data site (on the left) that MIGHT help you but again you're delving into data that may / may not have been accurately measured as it was compiled by lots of different users or you can try to look up raw blank lure / line rating for a ball park figure. If you know what you normally use your rod for (weight of terminal tackle) that you like it for that could be a starting point.

Generally fiberglass rods (of the same line rating) flex deeper into the butt section than composites or graphite while graphite blanks generally have "faster" tips (bend down only in the top 1/3 of the blank) & composites are more "medium" in action/response.

Date: August 16, 2011 12:28AM

Gotcha...... Im just having a hard time trying to decide what action etc I want... I was at bass pro the other day and had the chance to fool with a few rods. After playing with a few I was more confused than what I was prior. LOL

I picked up an 8' heavy action that was like a steel rod... Then another 8' medium that was like a rubber rod...

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2011 07:45AM

No need to add weight - action and power are not the same thing. Action is where the rod initially flexes. Just grab the tip and pull on it and note where the initial flex takes place.

The CCS AA figure is more definite and allows you to put a specific number on action, if you wish to use that.

I would disagree with Ken on the material having any effect on action. The fastest action rods I own are fiberglass and all rods will flex into the butt area if you apply enough load to them. The truth is, action is independent of the material used to make the rod.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 16, 2011 06:05PM

Do you want to match up for sure?

Many do not understand or believe descriptive terms or numbers.

Seeing is believing!

[rodbuilding.org]

What kind of rod do you want matched up.

Use the Contact Us link at Swampland - we will do all possible to match it up for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2011 06:10PM by Bill Stevens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster