I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Build spin rod from fly blank?
Posted by: Karl Grunning (---.cust.bredband2.com)
Date: August 12, 2011 05:17AM

Hi everyone!

I'm from Sweden and completely new to the world of rod building. I want to build myself a spinning rod (for fixed spool reel) to use for sea trout along the coast where I live. That means lure weights around 5-25g (up to around 1 oz) and rod length around 9-11'.

The problem is that although we have many rod builders here they are almost all only building fly rods. That means that it's very hard to find any good spin rod blanks. And importing them from the US (mudhole for instance) gets very expensive due to oversize packaging, customs, etc...

But then I read about a couple of people who made really nice spin rods from fly blanks. They cast really well and were a dream drilling fish on. That made me really interested in using a fly blank instead because that I could easily find here in Sweden of good quality.

But I thought I could throw the question to you guys and see what you think, and maybe help me what to look for in a fly blank. What class would be good? Action? Anything to look out for? Has anyone here done anything similar?

Most thankful for any help!

Karl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Build spin rod from fly blank?
Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.credit-agricole.fr)
Date: August 12, 2011 06:22AM

I dont know customs for Sweden but postage/packaging cost at Mud Hole is not expensive.
I live in France (europe too) and with custom and postage included, the cost is still correct for the MHX quality (very nice blank for me).

Date: August 12, 2011 07:03AM

Eric MONTACLAIR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont know customs for Sweden but
> postage/packaging cost at Mud Hole is not
> expensive.
> I live in France (europe too) and with custom and
> postage included, the cost is still correct for
> the MHX quality (very nice blank for me).

That was just something I was told by other rod builders here in Sweden.. I guess I have to chek what the shipping actually costs.

But I'm still interested in using a fly rod blank as my spinning rod, the guys who wrote about it was very happy with theirs. I like rods with deep soft action (maybe because they remind me of myself, haha).

What do you guys think?

/Kalle

Posted by: John DeMartini (12.54.94.---)
Date: August 12, 2011 08:46AM

Yes you can use a fly rod blank to build a spinning rod.

john

Posted by: Richard McCluskey (---.lncswi.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: August 12, 2011 09:05AM

I've built 3 spinning rods with fly rod blanks. They are fun to use but you have to be careful with such a thing. If you treat it like a spinning rod you will break it. I high sticked a bluegill and broke two of them at the ferrule.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.139.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 12, 2011 09:10AM

I've built several flyrod blanks into spinning rods, for a group of UL fishermen. Mostly 8 foot 4 wt. blanks. Once they learn how to cast them (quite a bit different than a normal spinning rod), they love them. No big differences in build mechanics from a spinning rod at all.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: August 12, 2011 11:12AM

I have a 12 foot spinning rod made from a crappie rod blank. I use it with jigs up to 1/2 oz in the surf.

Prior to this rod, I used a flyr od blank and it worked quite well.

There was an article in Rodmaker about making a spinning rod from, I believe, was a flyrod blank. C2

Date: August 12, 2011 11:58AM

Ok, sounds promising!

The next problem is choosing the right blank. Can you just translate the AFTM classes for the fly blanks to get a feel for what kind of lure weights it can throw? I mean AFTM class 10 is suitable for weights up to around 15,5 grams according to the classification. But the classification is based on the weight of the first 9 meters of flyline, and many have much more flyline in the air when they cast without any problems, so I guess my question is what class do you think would be a good choice if I want it about 10-11ft and be able to cast around 25g lures?

Posted by: Jeff Bodnar (192.138.178.---)
Date: August 12, 2011 01:21PM

I've used a 5wt to throw 1/2oz to salmon/steelhead before buying a noodle rod.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2011 02:02PM

Karl,

The problem with that reasoning is that not all 10-weights (nor any other weight) have the same power. One company's 10-weight rod is another company's 8-weight rod. They're not all numbered for casting the same amount (length) of the rated fly line.

Date: August 12, 2011 04:33PM

Tom,

But the AFTM classes is based on the weight of the first 30 feet of the flyline, so in theory that should mean that the rods classification says something about the casting weights it could handle.. I'm a bit confused about all this so please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thank you!

/Karl

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2011 07:51PM

The AFTMA line rating is so intended, but the rod rating is not. With say, 5-weight rods, you may have one rod that is intended to throw a very long length of 5-weight line, while another is intended to throw a short length of 5-weight line - the weights involved would be very different. So they may both be labeled as "5-weight" rods but will have widely different powers.

Posted by: Craig Johnson1 (---.up.net)
Date: August 12, 2011 10:05PM

Karl,

I throw 7.5 to 10 gm lures (Mepps and Panther martin spinners)for Lake Superior browns that typically run 2 to 5 Kg. I use exclusively a 7wt fly rod blank in a spinning configuration. I use several manufacturers blanks and blank power does certainly vary by the manufacturer. Not sure about the size of your sea trout your catching but personally I would not use a blank rated for more than 9 wt moderate to medium fast action even for fish up to 7 to 8 Kg. It will probably handle lures up to 20 grams or so easily. Of course, as everyone has said here time and again blank power will vary with mfg. Not all 9 wts are created equal. It takes some experimentation to find what your looking for. In my case years, and once you find the right blank, buy a dozen of them because they will soon disappear and never be made again. Good luck, prepare to experiment, and happy fishing.

Craig

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 10:18PM by Craig Johnson1.

Date: August 13, 2011 03:55AM

Thank you all, you have made some what wiser and much more enthusiastic about this project!

I'll definitely get back to you with more questions when the time comes.

/Karl

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: August 14, 2011 11:57AM

I built a rod to throw about that weight lures out of a 10 wt blank. It works well enough, but even though it is a fast action fly rod, it's a slooow action spinning rod. If you like the deep flex aspects of a fly rod, you will be very happy with such a rod. If I were doing it again, I'd use a 12 wt blank.

Good luck.

Drew

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: August 16, 2011 08:46AM

Hello everyone from a newbie (amateur) in Poland :-)

This may be a bit of a sidestep from the fly blank-to-spinning rod theme, but about seatrout rods - Karl, why don't you check out German or Polish rodbuilders? They have quite a broad range of blanks available and can oblige as far as a rod of the sort you want is concerned. Shipping costs are rather civilised within the EU and no customs duties apply. Besides MHX blanks are now available direct from dealers in Europe for veeery decent prices.

Cheers,
Michal

P.S. Actually you can buy the blank and components in Poland or Germany and build the rod yourself ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster