I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flyfishing Competition Style Blank Selection
Posted by: Kurt Mogensen (---.243.31.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 12, 2011 11:26AM

A friend is looking for a good blank to be used in flyfishing comps (euro-style nymphing mostly). I heard good reviews of the Grey's Streamflex 10', 4wt. I'll seek out pricing on this blank but wonder if others know of other options I should consider.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flyfishing Competition Style Blank Selection
Date: August 12, 2011 12:25PM

Just checked... Greys and Echo does not sell blanks, only finished rods. Dan Craft can put one together form multiple rods that have done a good job (I'm told). Other options?

Posted by: Craig Tucker (---.DREC.msstate.edu)
Date: August 12, 2011 02:15PM

I bought an Angler's Roost, 10-ft, 3/4-wt blank and was pleasantly surprised by the final rod. It's perhaps the best of the Angler's Roost graphite blanks. It's a bit slow actioned (probably in the "medium" range, whatever that means) but was no problem in casting nymphs and soft-hackles for two straight days last spring. The price - - about 30 bucks - - is obscenely low, and at that price, if you don't like it, ou can use it to roast hot dogs. But I think you will like it.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2011 07:55PM

Heres a good place to start...

[www.fishpacbay.com]

Date: August 12, 2011 08:36PM

Thanks guys. I'll look into the one from Angler's Roost. I did discover the PacBay Quickline in my search. A search for feedback on this line provided meager results but common cents data looks promising. Has anyone used one of the Quickline flyrods to give a review?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2011 08:40PM

I have one and find it to be among the most nicely finished and well performing fly rod blanks I've ever used. Very under rated.

Posted by: Bob Hallowell (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 08:40AM

I built a cts affinity X 10' 3wt, what a wonderful rod. Extremely light for high sticking and handles spilt shot and an indicator on longer cast nicely, even throws a nice dry. Out of all my rods I own it's my favorite. I thought it was going to be a one trick pony but I was wrong.

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster