I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Seamless Custom Decals
Posted by: Dane Newman (---.wehi.edu.au)
Date: August 12, 2011 02:02AM

Just thought I’d share another alternative to waterslide and peel-n-stick custom decals. I have always been a bit hesitant to use sticker decals due to the risk of seeing edges lifting, air pockets, fingerprints, etc, etc. After a bit of investigation I found I could get my logo made with rub-on transfers (aka Letraset) from a local company (I’m in Australia).

The smallest size they do is an A5 sheet that fitted about 50 of my logos. Unfortunately this makes it prohibitive for those ‘one-off’ personalized decals.

I fitted these logos to an A5 template using Photoshop and sent it off. Then they work up a negative, print the A5 sheet and post it to me. All up it cost me about $200 for the A5 and a few extras thrown in. That makes it $4 a logo, which is reasonable in my books.

Not sure how I attach a pic to this post, but you can view a example in my pictures.

As for applying them I’ll just offer the instructions they sent me:

“Before applying these transfers make sure that the surface you are applying it to is clean and free of dust, grease, silicon spray etc. This can be done by wiping the surface with cotton wool soaked in lighter fluid.
Let the surface dry (evaporate lighter fluid) then exposing just one image (you may want to cut it out) place the transfer in position and burnish horizontally across the middle of the image. Repeat, working up to the top and then to the bottom of image. Repeat the process vertically from the middle.
You should use a burnisher not the point of a pen or pencil which may damage the image. If you have not got a burnisher I would suggest the barrel of a pen used like a knife scraping butter.
After burnishing bend one end of the carrier sheet back on itself and carefully peel back like removing a band aid from a cut. Check the image as you peel and then you can catch if something is lifting, drop the carrier and reburnish.
After the image is down, place the backer sheet over it and reburnish with finger tips to "set" the image.
If any residue adhesive is evident now go over the image area lightly with a bit of lighter fluid on cotton wool and it will evaporate.
This sounds complicated but after putting down one or two you will find it very easy.
Once down the image may be oversprayed with a lacquer or opoxy but multiple light coats should be used not a soaking coat.”

I found it a bit tricky to start with and ended up wasting a few initial ones, but after a bit of practice they are relatively easy to apply. The only problem I’m having now is that the residue adhesive (or the lighter fluid solvent) often causes a fish-eye or two after the first coat of epoxy has been applied. However, this usually goes away after the second or third coat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seamless Custom Decals
Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: August 12, 2011 11:28AM

Hey thanks for posting that.. I have been trying to figure out a few alternatives to waterslide and PS. This seems like something that has great possibilities.....

The only thing that seems weird to me is they are telling you too use lighter fluid to clean the blank with... If im not mistaken lighter fluid is slightly oily.. I would think alcohol would be a much better cleaner as it evaporates and leaves no residue...

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2011 11:56AM

I agree. I would use denatured alcohol. No fisheyes with it and no residue.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 11:11AM

If you have not tried one, you should check out the Dry Transfer Decals available from SSSink, (Screen Specialty Shop).

Here's a link to their web site:

[www.sssink.com]

These labels come with the North Fork Composite, (NFC), blanks and are totally seamless. I messed up the first one I tried; because I didn't realize what I was dealing with and used masking tape on the front & back in an attempt to separate it. A big "No, No". I contacted NFC, with Karen Hapka's assistance, and they put another one in the mail to me ASAP. Jon Bial, General Manager at NFC, told me that I wasn't the first person to mess one up and won't be the last. He also sent me detailed instructions on the proper way to attach the decals. The site link indicated above, also provides detailed instruction which should be followed to a Tee.

These decals come out totally seamless and are the nicest I have ever seen. I am considering having my next order of company logos made by SSSink. I am not familiar with their pricing.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: August 15, 2011 12:15PM

I really like the idea of a seamless decal. I sure wish they would upgrade their website. The pics they up for examples look to be computer generated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster