I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Micro Waves
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 09:33AM

These have been out a while and I for one have not seen any posts about them
For builders who have used them - how did you like them

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Waves
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: July 25, 2011 10:15AM

I have built one and i am trying to get the time to start another.
First build was a 9 foot beast for fishing off the Alabama piers and in the Perdido pass.1 to 4 oz weight. Local pier rats hate braid and i love it in the pass. You need to be able to cast far to catch the bull reds and King Fish around there. Need to be able to throw nothing but a nose hooked cigar minnow too.
So i needed a rod that i could switch out from 300 yds 17lb test( Penn Battle 6000) to 300 yds 20Lb braid( penn battle 4000) when i am not on the pier.
I bought a microwave at the ICRBE and some suitable old All Star blanks too (Hatteras Jacks?).
Built one blank regular spinning and the other with the microwave setup . That way i could compare for myself and see if it worked for me. Sold the regular one after the first week or two so as its just not as good at doing that switch around with line types and reel sizes. Regular build seemed to get more wind knots and not cast as well. I actually reach for that microwave rod in preference to a green Pacbay 1088 ( a few years old blank) i built and that was my go to rod for that situation in the past.

I have a picture of the build here
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 11:27AM

Bill, I have built a 6'6" worm rod for myself and I love it. The line shoots thru the guides without any slap. Its a pleasure to fish. I have another that's mocked up. A nine ft. two piece steelhead rod. I expect it to have the qualities.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: July 25, 2011 05:28PM

Dennis, do you use braid or mono and what dia? Please post line types and lures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2011 05:29PM by Gary Snyder.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2011 06:01PM

Funny that you made this post, I just walked inside from doing my first test casts. Here's the skinny ...

There were a few things that I really liked ... 1) The line oscillation really gets knocked down quickly, this seemed to moderately benefit both distance and accuracy; 2) The recovery and balance was improved by placing the vast majority of the guide weight in the lower quadrant of the line path. The end result was that the rod felt "smoother" for lack of a better term; 3) Fewer guide sizes to stock - just the Microwave set and running guides and; 4) Faster wrap, layout and final adjustment time (running guides are easy).

A couple of things that I would still like to see ... 1) A #25 guide size, the #30 is a larger than needed with most 2500/3000 sized reels and; 2) A better finish on the frame of the Microwave guide, they aren't quite as good as they could be in my opinion.

While it wasn't a "night and day" awakening, I did feel that it was an overall improvement to COF and NCG. Bare in mind that I very rarely use "micro-guides", due to algae, duck weed and line-to-leader knots. Most of my builds incorporate #6 running guides, the smallest that I can comfortably use in most cases.

In my opinion, the Microwave guide is a serious contender. I have ordered additional sets for further prototype builds and intend to incorporate a couple of these rods into my personal arsenal. Best of all, the service from Swampland couldn't be any better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2011 06:04PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2011 06:58PM

Doug Hannon told me that his testing indicated that the 30 ring was required in order to do what he wanted it to do. He said he won't use a guide smaller than size 6 anywhere on any rod. Thus the 8 backing the 30. It might be doubtful that you'd ever see a 25/6 or 20/4 or anything. But who knows.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 07:53PM

A sz 50-12 is in the works for surf rods.

Lance

Posted by: Nelson Phillips (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 08:56PM

When will surf guide be available and what material will the guides be?

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 09:20PM

Not sure yet. I should get more answers by the end of the week.

Lance

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 26, 2011 01:50AM

Gary, Six and eight # mono for use with four inch Slider worms.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: July 26, 2011 08:19AM

I would certainly love the bigger one and will build using it when it comes out.
Of course my dream wish would be that the size 50-12 was built using the Amtack ringlock system and the 30 version using Minima both with a black chrome or titanium finish.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 26, 2011 12:07PM

Microwave Background - Swampland Site

CastAway's relationship with "The Bass Professor", Doug Hannon enables us to take spinning and technology to the cutting edge. Hannon's state of the art guide design eliminates "line slap" and increases casting distance dramatically over traditional spinning rods. The MICROWAVE blasts baits into water that used to be unreachable with spinning rods. It is ideal for finesse baits, soft plastics, stick baits, and any lightweight lure. Lighter weight hardware and more contact of the line with the guides also increases sensitivity, which makes it a great drop shot shot rod too. The MICROWAVE is the most versatile micro guide on the market. Fluorocarbon and nylon lines glide through the MICROWAVE as easily as braid and enables anglers to use any size reel. The MICROWAVE makes any fisherman a true "line tamer". Click on details for more information.

Thank those who have posted use information. We also have positive reports from a past winner of the Bassmaster's Classic who specializes in techniques using spinning equipment.

Castaway has provided a response to the questions posted on Rodbuilding.org.

Castaway is planning to make the surf rod size and preliminary work has begun. Considering the required lead time to get the original to market we anticipate new versions will be available next year.

50/12 and 40/10 are the two sizes being considered for production.

Existing manufacturing processes does not permit the inclusion of the traditional ring lock features.

Other design features such as color and material are under evaluation.

Castaway does not have any plans for a smaller size. Doug Hannon believes that the 30/8 is the correct proportion for present market applications.

Castaway introduced rods with the Micro Wave (Patent Pending) guide system at ICAST 2011 with running guides using #6 rings which were well received.

Since we did not receive the first production guides until February which Swampland presented at the ICRBE, we do not anticipate immediate changes, but would like to improve the cosmetics on a second generation at some point to be determined.

Thank you for your interest - they work - try a set today!

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2011 02:21PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: July 26, 2011 12:13PM

How much extra casting distance can I expect?

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 26, 2011 01:01PM

James Newsome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How much extra casting distance can I expect?

Dramatic, however much that is

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2011 01:06PM

Whether you realize any additional distance depends entirely on where you're starting from. If you already use a good, well implemented NGC system, you won't see any measurable increase. If you're using something else, or perhaps an older Cone of Flight system, then you will see a practical increase. To get a "30% increase" or whatever the claim might be, you'd have to be pretty far behind the times with your present guide system. Again, it all depends on where you're at presently.

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: July 26, 2011 04:09PM

I agree with Tom. I tried both setups, microwave and Ralph O's configuration of the NGC, on an old Lamiglas sp843 blank. Throwing a 3/8 oz wt, I noticed no difference in distance. I haven't fished the rod yet but what I'm interested in knowing about is line twist. Does that fast of a choke exacerbate the problem of line twist during a day of hard fishing? Just seems to me like it would but , that's speculation only. Anybody?

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 26, 2011 04:13PM

Thanks Tom, couldn't have said it better myself.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.74.35.---)
Date: July 26, 2011 05:25PM

Is the Microwave guide the only guide that gets placed before the first running guide (micro or other)?

If so, how far does the Microwave guide get placed from the reel?

Does the first running guide distance still get determined by the 27X rule?

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2011 07:22PM

I would like to know also, how the rest of the guides are set up. As Richard asks, what comes after the Microwave guide? Does anyone have a picture of what the whole rod looks like? I've searched the net a little and can't find one that shows anything past the 1st. guide behind the Microwave. The video on their website just shows how the line goes through it.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2011 07:29PM

Richard Glabach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the Microwave guide the only guide that gets
> placed before the first running guide (micro or
> other)?
>
> If so, how far does the Microwave guide get placed
> from the reel?
>
> Does the first running guide distance still get
> determined by the 27X rule?

No. The Microwave system is sold in a set ... one 30/8mm butt guide and one high frame 7mm as your "reduction" guide.

I set mine up COF, based on the reel being utilized.

No. It isn't possible to do so, since there are only two guides before incorporation of the running guides.

Best idea for those interested ... buy a set and give it a try. The only way to form a personal opinion of the system is to actually try it yourself.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster