I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Micro Waves
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 26, 2011 07:36PM

Richard G:

Q: "Is the Microwave guide the only guide that gets placed before the first running guide (micro or other)?"

No, Swampland provides a properly sized transition guide packaged with the Microwave Guide - a matched pair with correct height and ring size.

Q: "If so, how far does the Microwave guide get placed from the reel?"

There is a specific distance location for Microwave butt guide - measured from the face of the spool when in the forward position to the larger ring. For specific information use the Contact Us Link at Swampland Tackle site listed in above link.

Greg M. - one of the top benefits of the Wave Spin Reel when coupled with the Micro Wave Guide - Guaranteed Tangle Free - When coupled with the Microwave guide it results in a fine drop shot/shaky head rod. More lure time in water is a major advantage for anglers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 28, 2011 03:07PM

Greg Marshall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I haven't
> fished the rod yet but what I'm interested in
> knowing about is line twist. Does that fast of a
> choke exacerbate the problem of line twist during
> a day of hard fishing? Just seems to me like it
> would but , that's speculation only. Anybody?

- I don't believe it will. Excess line twist on spinning reels is due to a number of factors, such as spinning lures, high-stretch line, and pinching effects on line rollers or other things where the line takes a sharp bend and twist is allowed to build up on either side of the sharp turn. Since the line is mostly straight on those first few guides, and there is no more friction on a small guide ring than a big guide ring, there should be no excess line twist with the microwave guide.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 28, 2011 03:12PM

Closing the bail by hand, and then giving the line a tug to make sure it is in the roller will solve 99% of spinning reel problems. No need for the wavespin reel if you do this. I have been casting Rapalas at night for 30 years. Trust me on this one.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (76.210.238.---)
Date: July 29, 2011 07:33AM

Chuck Mills Respectfully Submitted By Swamp Boyz

Presently located between Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend (Big Bassn Bubba Heaven Tejas)

The hotel parking lot is filled with Bubba Bassers headed into battle - we can not find one who has a spinning rod on the deck this morning.

Asked them why! Response "Don't use them things too much line tangle and lost time"

Now back to your above comment "No need for the wavespin reel if you do this.

KEY WORD IF!

Many who only use spinning equipment for spot use do not have the skill you note.

The opportunities to use a better tool are now available -

Most do not own a tack hammer - use what they have - many fingers get busted using the old tried and tested Claw Hammer!!

The Wave Spine reel and the Microwave guide are really unusual new tools that actually work to increase effective lure time in water.

The Wavespin reels's teeth on the spool face there for purpose - the voids between the teeth lessen the area of contact with the line as it comes off the spool reducing frictional drag - small weights actually fall easier due t the reduced spool lip drag.

The tangle free concept has been proven at the casting pool at Disney World - novices pick up the things and effectively cast with no tangles.

Lance is working a deal with Castaway and Wavespin to put together package that will provide , including spacing information, needed to build a spinning rod and reel combination that will allow custom builders to sell rods using patented concepts to their customers.

Stay tuned for the announcement that all is in place and ready to ship.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2011 11:11AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 29, 2011 08:18AM

I was wondering how long it would take to hear from you Bill. Good to have you back.

Truth is, I have watched Elite's using spinning gear, and quite often they are closing the bail by hand. However, I will concede that a spinning reel is a very complicated piece of equipment and not everyone can master it. Even some of the north country bubbas that I know do not use any spinning gear. ;)

I agree that there is a market for that reel, but I don't think it is a better tool necessarily. It's maybe better for the occasional spin fisherman that won't discipline themselves to close the bail by hand. I will tell you this though. I will bet you that I could tangle that reel on an October moonlight night while chasing walleye as they prowl the current areas. After five or six hours of casting a size 13 floating Rap into the wind with 6# braid and closing the bail by turning the handle I would have to change spools. Bring a couple up this fall and we'll go put them to the test. Do you have any insulated waders?

Happy Friday!!!!!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 30, 2011 12:30AM

OK fine

But what would a 25 and a maybe a 6 do ??

Or a 20 and a 6 ?? Were these sizes tested with different size reels

Or is the 30 and 8 a happy medium for all reel sizes ??

Then again these sizes can be tested you will just have to get guides Concept or maybe M Minima's and put them together and test They can also be spaced father apart or closer together according to line path and maybe get better results ??

Some thing to think about

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 30, 2011 12:30AM

OK fine

But what would a 25 and a maybe a 6 do ??

Or a 20 and a 6 ?? Were these sizes tested with different size reels

Or is the 30 and 8 a happy medium for all reel sizes ??

Then again these sizes can be tested you will just have to get guides Concept or maybe M Minima's and put them together and test They can also be spaced father apart or closer together according to line path and maybe get better results ??

Some thing to think about

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 30, 2011 10:02AM

Bill B:

When your thinking/testing is complete let us know what the results are when you build your first spinning rod using the concept.

Date: July 30, 2011 11:10AM

OK

Bill

Are there going to be different sizes of these guides

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2011 11:20AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 30, 2011 02:02PM

NO

Lance

Date: July 30, 2011 07:46PM

What were your test results using different size rings for the spinning rod guide set up pictured at the bottom of your web site.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster