I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

OOPS! I went to deep!
Posted by: Barry Alexander (65.210.77.---)
Date: July 25, 2011 05:47AM

I have a 6'6" heavy rod that I would like to rebuild. I started out removing the guides with a heat gun and a razor blade. On one guide I went a little to deep and ended up removing about an inch of the outer glossy finish. I did not cut into the fibers that I can see. Did I render this blank unusable? The cut is in an area I'll be wrapping a new guide on to the blank. I did put it under a load a few times and it seemed fine.
Has anyone else ever experienced this mishap?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OOPS! I went to deep!
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 06:33AM

If it is just the finish, no problems.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2011 08:00AM

Never cut against anything except the top of the guide foot - that will prevent this problem in the future. See the FAQs page here for guide removal instructions.

Date: July 25, 2011 10:56AM

Thanks Mike & Tom,
I've removed guides in the past but for some reason I started at the side of the guide.
Thanks again,

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 25, 2011 11:05AM

I always cut the first wrap loose, at the toe of the guide, and unwrap all the thread off the guide. I guess it's a fear factor. I have always done it that way even though it takes longer.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 11:12AM

I do that all the time - carefully - with heat then start the thread and pull it off as I heat to keep it soft.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2011 12:23PM

You should be fine, I would load it a number of times in the same manner 'maybe a little more' that you will while fishing it to be sure it is okay before you build it up.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Date: July 25, 2011 01:46PM

I did load it a few times and put the pressure to it thinking if it's going to break do it now while I'm loading the rod and not while I'm fishing. I'll try it a few more times before rebuilding it.

Thanks

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 01:57PM

As long as you do not see splinters as in wood you should be fine

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster