I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
knots in prowrap spools
Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: July 07, 2011 05:46AM

Its annoying me, I keep getting knots usually midway through the 100yd size A metallic spools..grrrrrrrrrrr......Anyone else getting these surprises or are they only sent to Australia....
5 in the past 3 weeks....and it always seem to be while doing the intricate wraps.......it would cost next to nothing to redo the spool with a full thread....!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: knots in prowrap spools
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 06:27AM

I had a spool last week that has 5 knots is a 1oz spool! I thought I might have been the only one, but now I know I am not alone. It was the first spool that I had tried and not the best first impression. Also, the spools themselves are also rather crappy in quality. I put my thumbnail into the thread holder and the whole side of the spool broke off. I am sure they will get it rectified and all will be better int he future.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 07:54AM

That is why i stopped buying prowrap every spool i gotten had tangles and it was so hard to work with, now i buy Hemmingworth mettalics they are more exspensiver, but they are way more easier to work with, they come with these clear plastic spool holders that go over the spool of thread , they work just fine only had one small knot (tangle) since i started using them. they got a whole lot of colors to choose in the regular embroidery thread, they are just like the Maderia thread except to me they are more like brighter, like the mettalic, i personally think they are much more colorful. and have a lot of shades in each color to choose from.

Date: July 07, 2011 08:01AM

5 on one spool.!!!? thats rediculous... ive only been using prowrap for about a month and I tell you if it happens to many more times I'm throwing the entire range in the bin

cheers

Owen
eyrerods.com.au

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2011 08:21AM

This was not unknown on the older Gudebrod spools. It may have something to do with the automated loading process and the knots are probably done when the thread is being wound onto the larger service spools.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: July 07, 2011 09:32AM

I have had problems with Pro Wrap metallic too, which is a shame since they have some great colors. From what I understand the regular nylon and NCP are fine, it is only the metallic that has issues.

Posted by: Richard Beecher (---.dhcp.hlrg.nc.charter.com)
Date: July 07, 2011 10:04AM

I'm finding the same problems with their metallics, more knots than should be acceptable. I was amazed at how many times a piece unwound after cutting a 10-12 inch piece and just letting it dangle. It was wound up tighter than a clock spring. Hopefully someone from American Tackle is paying attention to these posts and takes some action to correct this problem.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 10:32AM

i had knots in the size a metallic prowrap i think it was a blue color. and yes i was in the end of a wrap with it. lol. happened with the silver too.

its also vey very very very springy. but i love the nylon thread. very strong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2011 10:33AM by Gabe Nakash.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2011 12:07PM

Okay, I may have misinterpreted the type knots you're talking about. It's common for thread to be knotted (joined) when the manufacturer loads it onto service spools. You don't toss out a 10,000 yard spool because you run out of material in mid-stream. You knot it and keep going.

If the problem is twist "knots," that's something you can alert the maker of and see if they can address the problem.

Re: knots in pro wrap spools
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 01:53PM

Owen,
You mention knots.
Are you saying that the knots are those that are used when joining two piece of threads together, or are the knots caused by a single piece of thread simply being twisted up?
i.e. are their tag ends on the knots that you encounter in your thread spools?

If you aren't encountering tag ends on your thread, I think you are seeing twist knots where knots are formed by excess twists in the thread caused by the line spooling method of the manufacturer.

Roger

Posted by: Joe Meehan American Tackle (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 02:23PM

Hi Owen,

Thank you for your feedback, if it was not for thoughtful customers like you, we would never be able to improve the ProWrap products. I first want to apologize for any inconvenience we have caused you. We will be in contact with you directly to narrow down the problem and a solution. We will do whatever is needed to satisfy your concerns and correct these problems for happening in the future.

The metallic threads problems can be caused by many factors including the metallic foil thickness, the density of foils, the tension between foil and the core, finished product winding technics and other issues. No thread can be continuous, but when knotting has to occur, those spools should be culled out of the production run. We are pushing for quality improvements continuously and we'll get this issue resolved.

Again, we apologize again for the inconvenience and aggravation. We value your patronage and hope that if you decided to use ProWrap thread in the future, your future usage will be positive experiences.

If you or other customers have problems or issues with ProWrap thread, contact American Tackle directly at sales@americantackle.us and we will have the spools replaced free of cost.

Best Regards,
Joe

PS – Kevin, the 100 yd and 1oz ProWrap thread spools feature an exclusive snap ring. These cap rings are designed to hold the loose end of thread and will pop off if you apply to much pressure to them. If the ring pops off completely, you can snap it back into place but you have to watch the decal does not get under the ring lip and prevent the snap ring from going back into place.

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 03:05PM

I thought maybe I was the only one that may have come across a bad spool so I didn't say anything, just figured I wouldn't purchase anymore. I've got a 4oz spool of black D and have maybe used 20 yards of it and so far have encountered 6 knots (splices) really frustrating :(.

Glad you brought it up Owen, hopefully the mfgr can make improvements to prevent the problem in the future.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 07, 2011 04:29PM

I've liked it so far. No problems with knots myself, however getting it is another issue. Had a big spool of silver backordered for 7 - 8 weeks now and I ordered some 100yd and 2 of the three were backordered also. Its forcing me to look for something else.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 05:34PM

Had a splice show up half way thru a 15" Dragon Scales wrap. it was in a spool of Fish Hawk Thread. Cut it off and start over

Posted by: Adam Curtis (74.7.62.---)
Date: July 07, 2011 06:00PM

Thats a great response from the Mfg. I wish all companies had that level of customer attention.

I believe what he said about working towards a better product. Those are the kind of people I want to work with.

In a breaking point comparison I found the prowrap to be twice as strong as another brand. The birdsnesting and foil kinks are the issues. The stuff is tough!!

Posted by: John McCleish (---.nrflva.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 06:11PM

This has nothing to do with knots (splices) in thread. I imagine that can happen. But if you are experiencing twists, some people refer to them as kinks, then the rope (thread is just teensy, weensy rope) is coming off the spool WRONG. It sounds like the metallics are being wound like a spinning reel. If that is the case, the thread must come off the same way. Hold a spool up and take about four feet off the end of the spool like a spinning reel and check for spin. If this works, all you have to figure out is how to apply tension to the thread. Spring on the spool won't work this way.

Mac

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 08:00PM

Thanks Joe, I didn't know that and honestly never tried to re-snap it back on. I will do that in the future. The spool I had problems with was not metallic, but rather black nylon. It was not a twist knot, but rather 2 pieces joined together. I didn't email or say anything because it was a 4oz spool and I thought I might have just gotten a "1 off" or something. No biggie. Crap happens. Don't sweat the small stuff is what I say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2011 08:22PM by kevin knox.

Re: knots in pro wrap spools
Date: July 07, 2011 08:17PM

hi roger definatley tag ends, 2 pieces tied together.....

Date: July 07, 2011 09:52PM

Hi Joe:
Thanks for the reply, I have solved your problem with the knots. this is an easy fix:
have premium spools (no knots flaws or splices.) and the current spools (occasionally may contain joins,)
let the builder make the choice.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2011 08:36AM

Joe,
It is really NOT all right to have tag end style splices on spools of thread.

Another thing that I do besides building rods, is to sew for various projects. While using many different sewing machines, using all different types and kinds of sewing machine thread over the years I have never experienced a SING:E instance of a tag end style knot on a sewing machine spool of thread.

If that were to occur, the thread would jam the sewing machine, break the needle and or jam the bobbin.

It would seem to me that suppliers of rod building thread should take the very same thought about supplying thread. No, the type of uses that rod building thread won't break tension mechanisms or jam non existing needles, but it may very well cause the builder to lose several hours of work, if the knot happens to be near the end of a very intricate wrap.

Thanks for being willing to listen to address the issues with your thread suppliers.

Tight wraps.
Roger

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster