I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spar Urethane
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 08:18PM

Has anyone ever used spar urethane as a finish? I was reading the info on a can of the stuff and it seems as though it might work. I thought I read one time that people once used spar varnish. Is it the same as spar urethane?
Bruce

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spar Urethane
Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: March 17, 2011 08:24PM

I use it to finish carbon fiber grips, it works OK but it does have a yellow tint.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 17, 2011 08:40PM

Are you talking about as a thread finish, wrap finish, wood grip finish????

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2011 08:42PM

You could certainly use it that way (brush on, not spray type). I think there are some water based exterior urethane furniture finishes that would be much clearer, however.

Expect to have to use 4 to 6 coats to build any depth.

Posted by: Gerald Guinn (---.knology.net)
Date: March 18, 2011 12:11AM

I have been playing around with exterior spar urethane and solvent based polyurethane varnishes as a result of recent interest in bamboo rods. I just completed a MHX flyrod using spar urethane (thinned 60/40 ) on the signature portion of the blank, an area that has been giving me fits with unlevel epoxy finishes. I apply liberally with a small squeeze bottle while slowly rotating the rod manually. After a minutes rest, use a coffee filter to wick (not wipe) the drips off the bottom. Slowly rotate the rod, all the while watching the light glare from the finish. When the glare is uneven along the top of the rod, let set for a few moments and it will begin to level out. Then immediately resume rotation, otherwise sagging will reoccur. Prick air bubbles with a pin. Continue this procedure for a few minutes after placing on a dryer. It will level out perfectly!

The problem with the poly is that it has an amber color. Spar urethane is even darker in color. The alternative is to use water based exterior spar urethane which is crystal clear. Unfortunately, it won't level out using the application procedure described above. For water based urethane suspend the rod vertically and use the squeeze bottle to dribble the finish down the rod, making sure there are no dry spots (bambool rod builders call this the "turkey baster method"). Be sure to thoroughly mask off the handle and reel seat. If the reel seat and handle have not been installed, make a dip tube form 1" plastic pipe and dip the butt end of the rod up to the wrap in front of the signature section. Based upon the success I have had so far with these varnishes and application techniques, I will probably never go back to epoxy for the signature section.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2011 07:49AM

I put it on a cork grip on a broken rod for a test run and it came out nice. It's not slippery at all and if the customer likes that gloss on the grip, it will do the job. However, I found that Krylon Fusion Clearcoat came out much thicker with one coat and crystal clear. The Fusion paint is in a spray can though, so take a lot of care when using.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: john backos (170.28.136.---)
Date: March 18, 2011 09:18AM

I recently finished a rod with minwax spar urethane. It took 5 coats. The first coat sealed the thread and didn't need to be turned, but all the other coats were turned for an hour.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: March 18, 2011 09:48AM

I use it as a finish on my burl and rubberized cork all the time. Looks good gloss or rubbed satin. Really brings the grain out of the burl and makes it look nice!
As a thread finish they "dip" whole rods in it (bamboo) so I can't imagine why not. It is yellow right ouf of the can as stated so long as you are not doing a light thread or light blank. WIth all things new use a scrap blank and test it out.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2011 10:37AM

On thread wraps I prefer Permagloss or Lumiseal if I'm not putting on epoxy. It is clear, dries fast, and you can put on several coats in a short time. Really comes in handy when refinishing a beat up rod.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2011 04:43PM

john backos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently finished a rod with minwax spar
> urethane. It took 5 coats. The first coat sealed
> the thread and didn't need to be turned, but all
> the other coats were turned for an hour.

Hey John. Minwax spar urethane is exactly what I was referring to--the liquid in the can. To clear things up I meant as a thread wrap finish. Is it easy to work with? Is room temperature important? Interesting. It seems spar would be more economical.
Bruce

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2011 04:53PM

It will dis - color the thread

use any of the thread finishes They are all better DO NOT BE LOOKING FOR CHEAP

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Craig Tucker (---.DREC.msstate.edu)
Date: March 22, 2011 05:29PM

I have to disagree with some of the negative comments regarding spar varnish as a wrap finish. Spar varnish has much to offer as a wrap finish, for fly rods anyway. It's the traditional finish for bamboo fly rods and is, oddly enough, the preferred finish by many people for fiberglass fly rods. I've used spar and various epoxies on glass and graphite (I have not yet built a bamboo rod) and frankly I am not sure which I prefer. Spar gives a warmer, low-build look, which can be quite beautiful. Spar does requires more coats and does discolor wraps (but the change in color can be attractive). Spar is also, in my opinion, more forgiving and easier to work with. Fewer mistakes are made and when a mistake is made, it's easy to correct. Epoxy has one great advantage: it's fast. Durability? A debatable subject, believe it or not. Dave Lewis, who passed away a while back, was the acknowledged master of spar varnished wraps. A weblink to Dave's wrap work still exists and is worth reading:

[www.performanceflyrods.com]

The quality of Dave's work may make you re-think the epoxy paradigm.

Posted by: Scott Dacey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2019 09:39AM

I was looking at spar urethane/varnish to finish an old blank i stripped down for refurb. I was only going to use it on the blank and use prokote on the wraps. Would there be a problem with incompatibility? I don't know what the prokote is made of and whether or not it would lift off the blank.

Thanks Dace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster