I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Arbor use
Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.adams.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 12:59PM

Do you find graphite arbors any more sensitive than ones made with mesh tape? When you use graphite arbors do you epoxy the arbor to the seat and then ream and mount or position the arbors and then mount the seat once the arbor has set up?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Arbor use
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 01:13PM

It is easier to glue into the seat, then when dry ream to fit the blank Check often they ream fast

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2011 02:26PM

I use polyurethane arbors. epoxy it to the real seat. let it dry, then. they are reamed to the correct size. then just epoxied on. to the rod.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 03:49PM

I do what Bill and Gabe do.

I have no idea whether an arbor is any more "sensitive" than mesh tape. But there's one very good reason why I use arbors: gluing up mesh tape makes an ungodly mess; I can't seem to do it without getting epoxy all over everything. With arbors, it's a piece of cake.

I recently replaced a reel seat, as a matter of fact: I removed a plate reel seat and installed a new tube seat. Because I didn't want to redo the entire handle, I worked from the butt end; because I slipped the reel seat over the butt, I couldn't use an arbor (if I reamed the ID of the arbor to be large enough to fit over the butt, it would have been too big to fit on the blank where I wanted it), so I used drywall mesh tape. One job with this stuff made me glad that I swore it off forever - I got glue everywhere.

I'm a big fan of arbors, because they work great, and make a messy job much, much easier.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 03:55PM

Chris

My thoughts are the same even though I have not tried the tape. Just sounds like one big mess LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 04:35PM

Mike, to answer your first question, I think the constant contact between the reel seat and the blank gives better sensitivity and better glue contact. I do like the others. glue the arbor to the seat & ream to fit the blank after the glue has cured.
Bill

Posted by: Emory J. Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 07:09PM

If the total weight of the arbor and the epoxy that is applied with it weighs less than the total weight of the mesh tape and the epoxy that is applied with the mesh tape then YES the arbor will result in a rod that is more sensitive.
If there is a significant distance between the blank and the reel seat that must be filled with mesh tape a good deal more epoxy is required with the mesh tape and the weigh difference can be quite a bit because epoxy is pretty dense.
The sensitivity difference will be most pronounced when the rod tip is at a low angle relative to the water and less pronounced when the tip of the rod is at a high angle relative to the water. The reason for this gets a little messy so I will not try to explain it unless someone is really interested and wants to put up with a long winded answer.

Posted by: lewis morgan (---.dhcp.gwnt.ga.charter.com)
Date: March 03, 2011 07:18PM

Having just read all of you guys comments I wish you could have seen the Demo I did on Saturday morning concerning handle makeup. Not to say your way doesn't work but I think you could have picked up on a few ideas that I put to use. The weight factor and the sensitivity acheived is amazing when applied to your rod blank. Everyone that looked at the completed rod was very complimentary and I want to say thank's to all. Our main goal is to feel the slightest tap at the end of our line and put the fish in the boat. Good fishing to all.
Fuzz Morgan

Posted by: john backos (170.28.136.---)
Date: March 07, 2011 11:09AM

The instalaltion of the mesh tape abor need not be messy. If you hold the rod at an angle with the tip downward and fillthe epoxy as you are moving the reel seat upward towards the butt grip while also rotating the seat to distibute the epoxy it's not so bad. I like the mesh arbor because I have the epoxy directly contacting the blank at intervals between the mesh. Also the mesh allows the epoxy to fill in the gaps in the mesh and bond directly to the blank. Every rod I have stripped down had built up arbors placed at intervals along the length of the seat. If there are no intervals, there are two glue joints and no direct bond of the reel seat to the blank. As for sensitivity, introducing a softer material between the reel seat and the blank will dampen the vibration somewhat. The arbor (if it's full length) will act as a vibration damper. Having the rock solid epoxy between the reel seat and blank will better transmit the vibrations. The few times I have used arbors, I have made them up in one inch sections with epoxy in between.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster