I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wrap finish
Posted by: Steve Harding (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 10:21PM

Hi all, new guy question:

I am wrapping my 1st rod (4 piece 9' 8wt), After reading a number of posts here, I decided not to use color protector, and to apply Flex Coat high build finish directly to the wraps. I applied a relatively thin coat (I have no motorized turner and some of my test wraps sagged), and see very small "whiskers" sticking through the finish. Should I do something to attempt to knock these town (like lightly sand with 400 grit sand paper), or just apply additional coats until they are covered?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrap finish
Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 10:25PM

Got to knock them down before you recoat or they just get more pronounced.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 10:46PM

Ed! Unhide your email. whoops, ment Steve

Ron Weber

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2011 10:51PM by Ron Weber.

Date: February 20, 2011 10:48PM

Thanks, Ed; I'll do that. Is this a common thing to have happen? It has a kind of pattern that suggests that it has to do with thread wrap tension.

Date: February 20, 2011 10:53PM

Steve unhide you email

Date: February 20, 2011 10:54PM

How do I do that?

Date: February 20, 2011 10:58PM

You do it in your control center, or you can send it to me at info@southwestcustomrods.com

Ron Weber

Date: February 20, 2011 10:59PM

I think I figured it out

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 12:49AM

Steve,
If you have nubbies sticking up from the finish, I use a single edged razor blade, held nearly perpendicular to the finish and scrap the nubbies off of the finish. Just be careful to not go through the finish or you will cut into the thread.
I find that the razor blade is easier to control to knock down the nubs, rather than using sand paper.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 06:27AM

Sand with wet/dry 400 sand paper. Works well. If you can sand the sags Carefully and try to knock them down.
baby sit your rod for a longer time

Also it would be better to put -thin - coats on. I do two sanding the first after set overnight.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2011 07:59AM

Your thread shouldn't be fuzzy. Check your thread routing hardware to find out what's damaging your thread. This isn't normal.

Posted by: Steve Harding (---.emkc.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 10:14AM

Tom,

I read somewhere the the thread tension should be "just below where you're worried about it breaking". I am thinking that that is too tight, and maybe if I back off the problem will go away. Hopefully, not a bad spool of thread. I've only done the ferrules so far, so I'll see how the other wraps go.

Thanks, everyone, for the input.
Steve

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: February 21, 2011 10:42AM

What kind of thread? This reminds me of the reason I use color preserver... it knocks down any fuzz.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 10:48AM

If you are putting tension on the thread and going though that device that squeezes it that may be why you are getting fusses.
It is better to put tension on the spool itself

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 11:13AM

Pull a couple of feet of thread directly off the spool and look at it under good light. Some thread when it is wound from the larger diameter bulk rolls onto the smaller 100 / 450 / 650 spools that many of us use does get frayed. This seems to happen most often NCP thread. IF the thread looks good then check for anything on the thread path that can be abrading the thread. Regular nylon thread can be wrapped very tightly without "fuzzies" appearing above the finish. One solution to "fuzzies" is to singe the thread wraps with an alcohol lamp held off to the side (not directly under) the wrap. That will melt the thin nylon threads. For where you're at now you would be best to hold a SHARP razor blade at 90 degrees to the coated wrap and carefully knock them down & apply another thin coat of epoxy.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2011 02:26PM

Steve,

That sounds like something you'd read on an internet forum.

No, you only want to wrap your guides snug, not tight. Once wrapped, you should be able to shift them by hand to align them. If you can't shift them with moderate pressure, they're too tight and on thinner walled blanks, can actually contribute or even cause a failure.

Posted by: Steve Harding (---.emkc.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 02:58PM

The thread isn't passing through anything, it's tensioned with one of those cheap gizmos that uses a bolt, wingnut, plastic and felt washers for tension. The reason I started thinking it was a tension issue was that there were sections of my wraps that had no fuzzies - I must have inadvertently used the correct tension there. I did use a flame to try to singe them off, and wound up with very small "spines" sticking up perpendicular to the rod. I used Gudebrod CP on some of my test wraps, eliminated most of the fuzzies, but had other problems. I'll wrap with less tension and see what happens. I'll post the results in the hopes that someone else can learn from my mistakes.

Steve

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 03:30PM

Steve,
As one of the other posters suggested, you may have received a bad spool of thread. I have used many many spools of thread and have only run across a couple of spools. I did have the bad luck to get a nice rod wrapped with the bad spool I was able to use the razor blade, knock down the fuzzies, and recoast with no issue.
Then, I threw the thread in the garbage.

Take your current spool of thread, and do some wraps very tightly on a blank or a dowel. Then, look at the wraps under a very bright light with a good magnifier.

If you see any fuzzies popping up off of the thread, take the thread and pitch it into the garbage. You have a bad spool

Roger

Posted by: Bob Pratt (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 05:05PM

Just a question from a rookie, could working the thread too aggressively, like burnishing too much or too hard cause this?
Bob

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 05:07PM

Only if the burnishing tool had a rough spot or ridge.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster