I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Wrap finish
Posted by: Paul Hatfield (210.8.191.---)
Date: February 23, 2011 08:11PM

Hi Steve,

Maybe a little off topic but I noticed you said you didnt have a motorized turner.
I made one for basically nothing using a microwave turntable motor. Just went to the tip and found the best looking microwave and bought it home.
The motor uses 24VAC but I just run it off a 12VAC plug pack. Works fine.
Just be carefull when pulling the oven apart as there are some huge capacitors in those things. I couldn't see any bleed resistors so they may have still had charge.

I love the local tip here. People must have too much money as alot of the stuff there is in pretty good condition. Found a brand new pelican case there the other day. Cleaned it up and its as good as new. Now my reel case :)

Regards,

Paul.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Steve Harding (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2011 10:02PM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tip on the microwave motor - things would be a lot easier with a turner. By the time I get home from work there isn't enough time to finish a wrap, turning by hand. I tore apart my old turntable, but the motor spins faster than I thought. Bet I can find an old microwave, though. Where did you find the pelican case?

Steve

Posted by: Paul Hatfield (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: February 25, 2011 08:54PM

Hi Steve,

I think the microwave motor would be fine for drying but no good for wrapping. Way too slow. If you could get your hands on an old sewing machine I bet you could make an excellent wrapper.
You could also use the thread tensioner on it.
Oh i got the pelican case at the tip (rubbish dump). The dump here is full of treasures. Haha.

Paul.

Posted by: Steve Harding (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2011 04:24PM

OK, so I wrapped the hook keeper looser than I did the ferrules, did the flame thing, and applied finish. Not as many little (1/64") spikes as before, but a lot more than I can live with. I I am either not putting enough finish on (so I would cover them completely), or the flame is causing more problems than it's solving, or the thread is junk. I have picked up a spool of Gudebrod nylon thread, and will try than on the next wraps.

I also have experimented a little more with CP, which I figured would change the thread surface. All I have is Gudebrod, which seems to go on OK for the 1st coat. They recommend several coats, and when I attempt additional coats, chunks form in the CP finish. Seemed like it was completely dry (even hit with a hair dryer on low). Am I applying it incorrectly, or does it always do that?

Steve

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster