I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Comparison
Posted by: Joe Rollo (---.39.172.72.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 11:40AM

Is there any way to compare blanks between companies? Is an MHX the same as a Batson 7 or8 and what is like a St Croix 3-4-5?
Blank comparison is hard on newcomers like me

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Comparison
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 03:59PM

Joe,

To get some very general ideas, you can compare rod - butt size, tip size, and blank weight for a very very rough comparison.
If you can get a caliper and measure the wall thickness of a given blank, so much the better.

Much of blank comparison is subjective. You can use CCC or other systems to determine blank power and action, but often, it is up to the individual user of a blank to determine its usefulness to that particular user.

You will also find that often, the only real way to test and compare a blank from different manufacturers, is to build up the same rated blank from different manufacturers and get a hands on feel for how the rod catches fish for you.

It really doesn't matter if the blank is short, long, middle size. It really doesn't matter if the blank is heavy, light, or somewhere in between. It really doesn't matter if the action of the blank has slow, moderate, fast, or extra fast action.

The only thing that does matter is the simple fact. Does this particular blank - built up as a fishing rod catch fish. If the particular blank built up as a fishing rod catches fish, is the person using the particular blank catching fish - happy with the rod, and thus the blank.

I am being overly simplistic, but in fact - that is all that really matters for a fishing rod that is used as a fishing rod.

On the other hand, if you are building the rod to be hung on a wall for a pretty display, then you need to consider other attributes of the blank.

Good luck

Roger

Posted by: Joe Rollo (---.57.20.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 04:23PM

I build for me only my problem is

MHX sj842 $51.50
St Croix 4sw70mlf $150
Lamiglas lp842 $87

All are almost the same in all catagories butt-tip ect except price My real question aside from buying each how does a consumer judge value?
Is this a case of Chevy vs Caddy Both make same size car with same options but do you get what you pay for??

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2011 06:48PM

Often yes, sometimes no. Most of the name brand US made blanks are top notch. So the only question is, are the foreign (usually oriental) made blanks any good?

About the only thing you can count on these days is that most rod blanks, even those in the $50 range, are not junk. Far from it. The oriental products have come a long, long way in the past decade or so.

Posted by: Matthew Elrod (---.ghs.org)
Date: January 31, 2011 08:47PM

Joe,

I can tell you that all 3 blanks you listed are very good. I can tell though, that the MHX being the lowest priced of the 3, is an amazing value. I am quite impressed with the whole series, as are my clients. I have built for some very discriminating anglers, and everyone that has ended up with one of the MHX blanks has been thoroughly impressed. I have two of the SJ842 blanks built into my personal rods, and I love them. You could not go wrong with any of those, but the MHX is a great blank, even at 2-3 times the money.

Posted by: Joe Rollo (---.57.20.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 09:35PM

Thanks for all the input. My Scottish blood hate to spend money without getting some reasonable value in return. I have used MHX cb841 and liked it ok. You pays your money and you take your chances. Thanks Again

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: February 01, 2011 09:15AM

Joe I think there is only one way to really answer your question. Pick a name like St. Croix, Lamiglas, or Baston. Next pick a blank you will use a lot. Now start at the bottom line offering from the company and try it. Then buy the same thing in the next model up and see if you think it is worth the increase in price. You can always find someone to sell or give the old rod to.

Now as far as value.....don't overlook closeouts, over stocks, last years model, cosmetic blems, etc. Utmost enterprise has some killer deals but you have to move fast.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 11:59AM

Joe,

I have built on a couple of St Croix and a few MHX blanks. I can tell you I like the MHX line, just fine. I would reccomend them anytime.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 11:59AM

Joe,

I have built on a couple of St Croix and a few MHX blanks. I can tell you I like the MHX line, just fine. I would reccomend them anytime.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster