I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mayan cichlid rod?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: January 31, 2011 11:52AM

Has anyone built for this particular fish? If so, what blank did you choose?

For this that have never heard of them; they are a panfish and top out near two pounds. While they will eat worms, small shiners are preferred. They have the uncanny ability to put you in the weeds regardless of your tackle.

I'm thinking I'd like a longer than normal rod, capable of fishing the smallest crankbaits made. I'd like something light enough to have fun with blue gill but it needs to have strength to lift a fish out of the water and onto the bank. I don't care for slow action rods so I don't think I'd care for a fly rod blank.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mayan cichlid rod?
Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 12:27PM

Maybe something along the lines of a Batson 841 2 or 3 popping rod would work.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 12:37PM

I used to fish the canals in Lauderdale and Miami a lot when I lived down there. A long rod will hinder you greatly due to the vegetation along many of the canals. Also you have to be able to cast accurately when you see fish. Keep in mind that although you are fishing for Mayans there are Oscars, Peacock Bass, MIdas Cichlids, baby Tarpon, Largemouth Bass, Snakeheads and many other fish in the canals. I used to keep a 6' 6" 2 pcs St Croix spinning rod in my car. Can't remember what model it was though. Medium light power, medium fast to fast action 6' 6". Something like the MHX SJ782-2 would be good.

Lane

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2011 12:46PM

why not build on a fly blank? it would give you what you are looking for

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 01:31PM

I live in South Florida and catch them often when targeting bass with plastic worms. Like you say, they top out at about 2 pounds. They are not an indigenous species, and I believe they are related to peacock bass... I believe peacocks are simply green cichlids, so you could think of the Mayan's as mini peacocks. Pound for pound, they are stronger than largemouth, at least on the initial run.

Anything recommended for Smallmouth bass/walleye will work, typically blanks rated for 4 - 10lb. line. If I were going to build for the fish, the first blank I would probably look at would be a 1-power popping blank such as the Batson IP841.

To contact me, visit
[www.snyderrods.com]

Date: January 31, 2011 01:52PM

Lane, good to hear from someone who has fished for them. This rod will be used from the shore. With the way the grass mats are along the shore you almost have to catch the fish from the opposite bank. Then once he is close you have to flip him out of the water a good 10-15 feet from you (cane pole style) to stay out of the weeds. I'm not too worried about losing the bigger fish. Anything that could sink a hook into a baby tarpon (and land one) wouldn't be fun on bluegill and cichlids.

A light popping rod might be perfect. I wish I knew more about salmon and steelhead rods. I'm thinking a fly rod capable of casting light lures wouldn't have the backbone to flip the fish out of the water.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: January 31, 2011 02:02PM

Gary, do I understand you have caught them on plastic worms? I can't get them to bite on plastic worms for nothing. They sure love little shiners though:) I'm fishing a spring fed private lake so the water is very clear and deep compared to most places. That might have a bearing.

I take it you are in Fort Lauderdale?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 03:06PM

Russell, yes, I have caught numerous Mayans over the years on 6" plastic worms while targeting bass... that said, it's mostly by accident, and we catch a lot more bass, the worms are really too big for them and we probably miss most of them on the hookset. We find them primarily in the everglades during low water conditions when the fish are very abundant and very aggressive.

I would probably use the same baits as used for peacocks and pike, just down-sized, tiny lures. Years ago, when we used to target peacocks, we would use rooster tails and small suspending jerk baits. Small shiners were the best bait... the smaller, the better.

I would imagine a gliding bait such as a small "Flying Lure" or a small plastic creature bait tail-weighted so it would glide back into their face could work, but I have never tried it for Mayans.

Yes, I am in North Lauderdale, just a stones-throw north of Ft. Lauderdale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 05:29PM by Gary Snyder.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 31, 2011 05:33PM

Russell -

I use a SJ720 for the purpose. IMO, it offers the best of both worlds ... a light fast tip and a powerful butt section.

Jim -

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: January 31, 2011 06:45PM

I didn't think they could live that far north Jim. For someone looking for a little bluegill type fun they sure produce. Strong little fish with the brains to turn and run towards you so they can veer off and get you in the weeds. I have come to respect them enough to consider a purpose built rod. I'm just not sure what that rod should look like:)

I also need to get a better handle on how far a certain weigth could be cast. Ideally I'd like to get thirty yards. As you know I'm an offshore guy so this is a way different build for me. I keep wondering about rods intended to cast little sacks of eggs. Of course I have no idea how much a sack of eggs weighs.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 31, 2011 06:57PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't think they could live that far north Jim.

They don't. I fish for them in the northern canals of Lake O ... they are voracious feeders, no limits and they taste great. IMO, the SJ720 is a great choice. You might also like the St Croix 3S59MXF for something a bit stronger if you are concerned. My preference is an extra-fast action in a shorter length. The shorter length makes for pinpoint casting and a much lighter rod.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 07:07PM

With a SJ780, 781, or 782 you will be able to cast quite far. Farther than you will need for sure. I could probably cast a Rapala XR08 across Griffin Rd if I tried to. The XR08 weighs 1/4 oz. But when I was fishing that fishery a long cast was 40-50 ft.. The only time I cast farther than that was fishing along Alligator Alley. I rarely caught fish on the long casts though.

Lane

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster