I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Foregrips....yes or no
Posted by: Curt Forth (---.aps.anl.gov)
Date: January 29, 2011 03:05PM

I've only built several rods so far, but I'm thinking of doing the next one without a foregrip. Is there really any reason for having them on bass rods other than keeping with the traditional look? What does everyone prefer for the transition from the front of the reel seat when not using a foregrip? Just a plain winding check?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foregrips....yes or no
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 03:17PM

Yes, No, Maybe.

Depends on what you are doing. I use foregrips for certain techniques.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 03:18PM

What do you think ?

When you fish for bass Do you need one heck it is your rod you are going to use it It is what - you - like

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2011 03:33PM

To finish off a seat with no foregrip, I'll either tuck a rubber o-ring just inside the front of the seat with a small thread wrap in front, or if the seat has ribs, I'll cut small pieces of EVA to fill the gaps (if you use the colorful craft foam, this is a neat place to add a little color). If I use a seat with a solid barrel, then I just finish off with the thread wrap. When I finish the thread wrap in front, I'll let the finish climb up to the edge of the seat forming a mini epoxy ramp. I usually don't use any type of winding check, unless I made a mistake and have to hide a flaw in the grip or seat fit.

Joe

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 29, 2011 04:12PM

if you ever hold the rod in front of the reel (some people do for c-rigging or spooning) then you probably want one. I don't personally, so i rarely use one. They serve a purpose if you actually use it. I use a winding check (metal or vinyl) or just put a small thread wrap in front of the seat and use ample finnish to ramp up to the seat.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 06:05PM

I agree with Justin.
I think that the presence of a fore grip depnds on whether the rod will likely to be held by the fore grip.

If the hand is never put on that part of the rod, for bringing in fish, then I don' t think that there is much use for the fore grip.

But for any heavy action of heavy poundage saltwater rods, I think that the fore grip is essential. For many of these style rods, virtually all of the fish fighing is done from the fore grip.

But, the typical bass fishing rod doesn't use the fore grip when either casting or landing the fish.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2011 06:05PM

Don't use them personally,.
But some anglers do as Justin suggested, Have also seen some that like to hold the fore grip in front of the reel and pinch the line between the thumb and forefinger.
In these cases it is advisable to have one.
As fas as seats, I use sizes that fit tight to the blank, then bevel the end for a finished look eliminating the need for a winding checks

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 06:35PM

Let me throw in my 2 cents for you.
I like them on spinning rods as I do move my hand in front of the reelseat. Usually use a 2-1/2" .

On my bass casting rods I never hold the rod in front of the reelseat, so no you would not need one.
Although I've not yet built a rod without one I've been making them shorter and shorter.
Last rod had a 1-1/2" and have another in process. Debating to go to a 1" or none.

I'm kind of a purist, so yes it does look funny without one, but functionally on a casting rod you don't need it.

As others have said it's a custom rod do what you want - you'll see many factory rods now without them
and many pro's use rods w/o them - but it's up to you.

Heck why not buy another blank, build it with micros, split grip AND no fore grip.
(This is an addicting hobby so many things to try!!)

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 06:46PM

My 2 cents plus 2 more, i just like the look of a fore grip.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 08:52PM

No forgrip, epoxy ramp instead : [www.rodbuilding.org]

DR

Posted by: Mick Batson (---.olypen.com)
Date: January 29, 2011 10:52PM

Batson's has a winding check made for this specific purpose. Model FBWC [www.batsonenterprises.com] (scroll down near the bottom of the page.)

Carol @ Utmost

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2011 09:23AM

I use the foregrips on my spinning rods when fishing from a float tube and also when placing the rods in a rod holder on my small boat when the grandkids are fishing with me. We sometimes troll or still fish for catfish and the foregrip is necessary to align the rod properly when placed in the rod holder.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 11:58AM

My last several rods have all been made with no fore grip.
You can obtain the plug from some of the sponsors which fit nicely inside the front of the reel seat. Just cut the inside arbor a bit short, then chuck the plug into the lathe and ream the center of the plug to the diameter of the blank.
Now you have a perfect seal for the front of the reel seat with a nice fit on the blank.
Wrap the rod and you are good to go.

Epoxy ramps are fine, but with these plugs, unnecessary and the plugs work very well and are attractive.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster