I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cord Butt Wraps
Posted by: sandra lafferty (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 12:31PM

Hello. I am new to rod building (starting my 6th). A buddy showed me a cool weave he did on his grip and I want to try it. I have since subscribed to Rod Maker and received the back issue Volume 9, issue 3. Great information but does not touch on the woven cord. Is there a book, another Rod Maker issue, video, etc., that might help me get started?

Thank you and I love this forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cord Butt Wraps
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 12:49PM

Sandra,these links should be of some help to you and give you what you are looking for.

[www.bloodydecks.com]

[www.frayedknotarts.com]

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 12:51PM

Search key words "Turkshead Knot"

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: January 29, 2011 03:13PM

Rodmaker 12-2 has a good turkshead article.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2011 06:07PM

Are you asking about a weave or a cord grip? Weaves aren't done with cord.

Posted by: Steven Paterson (---.los.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 06:23PM

Tom, I think what Sandra may be refering to is the type of cord handles I've been doing over the last few years.

Sandra, I've posted some handles in grip section, this may be what you're after.

I have a tutorial in my computer but have no clue how to post it here. If someone would be willing to explain how i would gladly post it up.

Date: January 30, 2011 12:15AM

Steven: e-mail is "[email protected]" if that helps to forward that tutorial. You are right on regarding what I am after. I am going to play with this tomorrow. I may be just overthinking it.

Posted by: Bob Mankin (---.nextweb.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 03:48AM

Tom, weaves are done with cord, actually called grafting. I was the one who showed one to Sandra as she is local to me.

Sandra, Steve can show you some awesome stuff with weaves as well. The spiral wrap transition for the reel seat area is a trick I learned from him. But don't let him start with the buttwrap examples unless you want sensory overload.

If you look up the powerpoint links I sent you, they include a page out of Creative Ropecraft which shows the most common grafting patterns used. Steve's patterns are a little different. If you look carefully, the pattern I used is the top one on that page, I'm just changing it up a bit with different cord diameters for a different look.

I've since cut this weave off because it had a couple of lumpy spots in it I wasn't happy with. Waiting for a resupply of cord to arrive from the mfr for a re-do.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 08:01AM

Bob and Steve ------
Really nice work!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2011 08:10AM

Thanks for clarifying. Normally, when someone mentions weaving in regard to custom rod building, they're talking about a decorative thread weave.

Date: January 30, 2011 12:11PM

Thank you all very much. Rainy outside...can't go crabbing...chores are done...build a rod :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster