I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for Tom K
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 06:03PM

Tom,
Just wondering - how many coats of thread- finish do you apply to get the finish that makes you happy - after all the nubs and fuzzies are cut off?
Do you plan to apply 3-4 thin coats or one heavy??

I have been aiming for 3 thin coats and maybe a 4th if I still get nubs.

But I am reconsidering this. I seem to remember that I got less nub / fuzzy probs with one heavy coat with a thin second to correct any flaws.

Thanks,
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for Tom K
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2011 06:06PM

I don't have "nubs and fuzzies." I use one coat, thinner on light rods and a little thicker on heavy rods. High build epoxy can be used either way, thin or thick.

"Nubs and Fuzzies" are things you shouldn't be experiencing. If you are, there is certainly a way to eliminate them.

Date: January 29, 2011 06:36PM

Tom,
Thanks. I understand.
Herb

Date: January 31, 2011 07:36AM

Tom,
Much better. I got sloppy - thought I could use the scalpel to remedy i/o good prepping.
Herb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 08:41AM

After wrapping your guides If you have nubs and fuzz take a lighter and run it under the wrap to burn off any fuzz. Do not touch the wrap and do not keep it close or in one spot long. Just put the fuzz under the rod - downward- and quickly pass the lighter under.
You will know when you are too close, it will burn and the wrap will come undone.

A magnifier lamp helps to see the fuss better.
With no CP I put two thin coats on.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2011 09:50AM

I'd check to see why you're getting nubs and fuzzies to begin with. Is there something along your thread tensioner or on the hardware that's causing this?

Date: January 31, 2011 04:44PM

Tom,
Thread touches nothing ferom spool to blank. I use magnetic tensioner.
I use "00" Gudebrod thread for my fly running guides and it tends to be fuzzy.

I do use the side of the flame from a propane lighter - touch and go. That is not the prob. The prob was that I got too lazy to inspect for fuzzies with magnifier.

I do not get nubs. I have good tie-off technique.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster