I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish on bamboo rod
Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2011 04:55PM

I went to a fly fishing show this past weekend and saw some superbly crafted bamboo rods from Rolf Baginski of Germany.
I saw one rod where he used the white silk on the wraps, making it look transparent.
What caughty attention initially was that I could see all the the guide feet.

As I said the finish was superb - but what do you use to coat the bamboo blank? A spar varnish? Permagloss?
Would it be painted on, sprayed or dipped?

I was so wowed by his rods that I forgot to ask him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish on bamboo rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2011 04:57PM

Traditionally, bamboo rod blanks are wrapped and then the entire rod is dipped in a thinned, warmed varnish, several coats.

There are other methods that are equally good, but what I outlined above is how many of the well known makers have finished their rods for decades.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2011 05:15PM

Most of your bamboo rod makers are using spar varnishes. Man O War spar varnish comes to mind as one of the more popular finishes used. I have also heard of some people using True Oil. Many of your older bamboo rods have a Tung Oil finish, but over time that finish will start to "scale". Finish can be hand applied or dipped. The final product that we are seeing has been hand polished to reveal that glass like finish. I don't think the bamboo folks are using Permagloss to coat the thread wraps, it may be too "hard" of a finish for that application. Maybe some of the bamboo folks on this forum will chime in.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2011 10:16PM

I like to coat the bare blank (1 coat) with PermaGloss. After it dries completely, I wrap the guides , and coat with 3-4 coats of PG. Not very 'traditional", but it looks great, and it will outlive me and my kids.
Baginski calls his finish "triple dip coat lacquering".

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 10:19PM by George Forster.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2011 10:58PM

I am wraping my first bamboo rod and I'm having a hard time getting my head around this dipping the whole rod after it is wrapped. Doesn't this gum up the ferrules and guides or am I missing something.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2011 08:03AM

The vanish is so thin that it doesn't. You can read more about the technique in almost any bamboo rod making book.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 08:20AM

I used to dip mine but have found that two thin coats of Min-Wax spar vanish on the bare blank with an additional two to three coats on the wraps is more than acceptable. These I apply with my finger tip with the rod turning slowly on a dryer. Make sure the varnish you use is for outdoor application and you will be fine.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: January 20, 2011 10:48AM

I'm using 3-4 coats of tru-oil on the blanks and 3 coats of permagloss on the wraps.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: January 24, 2011 05:16AM

yes, it's not necessary to entirely coat the entire blank and guides with spar varnish as tom mentioned but he's right, most dip the entire blank and guides. some brush it on. some use a turkey baster to get the entire rod. all take trial and error.

and alternative is an impregnated blank. many ways to do that too but once impregnated you can coat just the threads. that's what i'm doing. i had my maker impregnate my blank.

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster