I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Liquiglass finish review
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 09, 2010 05:56PM

I was recently given a sample kit of the Liquiglass finish to try out. I just finished a rod with it and was VERY impressed to say the least. Not much that I can add to Ken Preston's in-depth review but the thing that amazed me was that, after mixing, it was almost like looking in a glass of water!! It was by far the clearest that I have ever seen. Although some may not, I really liked the long pot life. Kind of in between Light and Regular. I have no idea on the long term effect of U/V but Ken did some pretty extensive testing [rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Liquiglass finish review
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 07:54PM

Hello Mike,

Your, and Ken's, reviews remind me of Envirotex-Lite casting epoxy. Sold into industry in gallon quantities, the same product (as per MSDS documents) is sold in smaller quantities (8oz kid for ~$10) as a casting epoxy. It's called EasyCast, sold by arts and crafts stores. My calls to Envirotex a couple of years led to the agent leading me to EasyCast when I inquired about E-Lite. Super long pot life and extremely clear hardener. Mine is at least two years old and the hardener is just slightly off clear now. Resin was, and still is, clear as water. Very low odor.

Last weekend I coated a test wrap, and not anticipating the slow cure time didn't rig up my dryer. I sat there rolling the short blank section for a loooong time while watching TV.....

Jeff

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 10:50PM

Every finish is clear as can be when mixed up and applied and heated up. How does it hold up to sunlight? E-Tex from what I've been told does yellow over time, I don't know that for sure. LiquidGlass is extremely hard when set up, even harder than Threadmaster to my fingernail test.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 01:24AM

Doesn't casting resin get extremely brittle? The items I've seen done with it can be chipped and scratched almost like glass.

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 08:25AM

Envirotex yellows extremely quickly in direct sun. I used it to cover a puzzle on a patio table within 6 weeks it had yellowed to the point it was difficult to see the puzzle. I would not use it as a finish on anything that will spend anytime in direct sunlight.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2010 09:32AM

Most of the Envirotex coatings are intended for indoor use, only. However I really haven't kept up with their product line so I have no idea what they may or may not offer for exterior use.

Posted by: james o mc atasney (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2010 12:30PM

Jimmy Mac, I had tried EnviroTex Lite, it has a warning on it , ENVIRTEX LITE IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR EXTERIOR USE, so thats telling me, its not good for us rodbuilders .
THANKS JIMMY MAC

Posted by: Richard Popola (151.124.247.---)
Date: November 10, 2010 01:09PM

Back in the early 70's before epoxy finishes were available, builders here in South Florida used Envirotex. It used to turn yellow and crack.
Rick

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 10, 2010 01:25PM

Good thing I never used it on a rod.

Jeff

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2010 01:51PM

Jeff is probably talking about a different Envirotex product than their standard bar top coatings, although I don't know anything about it.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 10, 2010 02:35PM

The product I'm referring to is their EX-74 formulation, improved over EX-88 in that it is said to be more UV resistant. When I inquired about obtaining a sample of EX-74 the company rep pointed me in the direction of EasyCast. She suggested I read the MSDS documents for the two products. They're identical.

I'm not endorsing this product for guide wraps, as I have not used it as a guide wrap finish on a fishing rod. One day I'll get around to doing a more formal test of the product on a guide.

Jeff

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 05:38PM

Casting resin is not what you want to use on fishing rods - or anywhere there will be flex. It will yellow; it will craze and crack.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster