I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can it wait a year ? just wondering
Posted by: Fernando Torres (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 04:48PM

I had a spiral wrapped rod all ready to go, a personal rod,but it will not be used until next year. I was thinking of placing the rod in a plastic sleeve and placing into storage until next year without applying expoxy to the guides. Then I thought what happens if while in storage they become loose or damaged ?
So I was thinking of appyling one coat of epoxy then putting in storage and recoat next spring ?.. The weather is also starting to play a factor as it''s starting to get chilly and hunting seasson has taken over, so not much time left to mess with the rods.

Thanls for any input or advice

Fernando Torres-NERB

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can it wait a year ? just wondering
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2010 05:31PM

Why not completely finish it out now?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 07:14PM

I agree with Tom,
It is only about a 20 minute job to apply the finish, and get it on the dryer.

Roger

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2010 07:31PM

Finish it this weekend and put it away.

Happy hunting,

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 08:25PM

Finish it up.. Guides can get knocked off or a wrap come loose. Dust in the thread.. Lots of reasons to get it done now.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2010 09:37PM

I agree whith all, why wait? It will take you less than an hour and then it dries overnight and done. Get it done now so there is no wondering.

Tight lines,

JH

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2010 12:10PM

Yup...get 'er done!

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 10:34PM

Fernando,
The fact that you ask the question and the fact that finishing the rod will only take a short time, makes me wonder if there is something that you are not happy with on the rod?

If that is the case, no problem, lots of folks change their mind about something on the rod after wrapping it - -- go ahead and put it away for a while until you have had some more time to think about it.

If, after thinking about it some more, you still don't like something about the rod, cut off, or change what you don't like about the rod and then finish it.

I have run into the same situation before as have many of my co workers. i.e. a job is almost done, but then - it is put on the shelf for a while to do some thinking about the job.

So, if it is a concern about the rod, rather than a lack of time to finish the rod - sure, go ahead and shelve it in a plastic wrap until you decide to come back to it. If the guides get messed up or twisted, or something else, fix it when you get back to it.

Bottom line - finish it now, if you want to move on, or shelve it and finish it - if and whenever you decide to get the job done.

Roger

Posted by: Fernando Torres (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 11, 2010 04:30PM

Thanks for all the input no sense in beating a dead horse anymore, I have went ahead and epoxied the guides etc. With a lack of time and trying to keep a baby away from the drier. I set up shop in the bed room until the rod was good enough to pull off the drier. Roger I was comtemplating on re-wrapping that may have had me with reservations about the expoxy. Now I'll have to wait until next year to put it to use. Need to concentrate on putting some venison in the freezer.

Thanks again

Fernando Torres-NERB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster