I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wiping off epoxy sags
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 07:29PM

I tried the spatula technique on applying finish, the thing is, is that when I stopped the dyer to wipe off excess epoxy, when it saged, by the time I got to the last guide the first guide already started to sag again, so, is there a waiting time before I start to try to wipe off the excess sags, or am I completley doing this wrong, ant help on this would be great!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wiping off epoxy sags
Posted by: John Etheridge (---.sub-75-202-152.myvzw.com)
Date: November 09, 2010 07:46PM

I use a manual turning technique, which basically means I use a hand to turn and a hand to apply the epoxy. I coat each guide, then I go back and start by wiping the brush clean and use it to wick the extra epoxy off, Every so often I turn the rod 180', wait a minute or two, then if any epoxy is sagging, I use the brush to wipe it off. I spend about two hours hand turning, the time increasing as the epoxy cures. the library has a couple of articles on this, here is a link [www.rodbuilding.org] . John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2010 08:25PM

I'm missing something - why are you applying excess epoxy? The instant you let the finish sag, you've got a problem.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 08:36PM

Lorenzo,
I just use an inexpensive throw away brush. I apply finish at a high rate of speed, about 100 rpm or so. As needed, I will stop the lathe to apply finish to the guide feet etc.

Then, after finishing the application, which takes about 2-3 minutes for all of the guides, I will transfer the rod to the slow rpm dryer. Then, I will hit each guide with the heat gun to thin the finish and allow it to nicely flow out, as well as to eliminate any possible bubbles that might have popped up. Generally, there is a bit of sagging going on with the addition of the heat and the thinnner finish. I keep the mixing cup under the guide that I am working on, and if a sag occurs, I simply dab it off with the brush and move on to the next guide.

I tried the spatuala method on several rods, before going back to the throw away brush. I think I spend about 5 cents a brush, when I buy them in quantities of 500. I generally use one brush for every one or two rods. So, it is not a bad addition to the price of each rod. i.e. 5 added cents for shop supplies on the build.

Some folks have good luck with a spatula, but I never mastered it and I get excellent results that are easy to obtain with the disposable brush.

Take care
Roger

Date: November 09, 2010 08:37PM

p.s.
The main reason that I use the disposable brush is so that I don't have to clean an expensive brush. Also, I really didn't find any advantage at all to using a very expensive brush for finish appliction.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 09:07PM

Roger, I tried a heat gun once to fix a spot on a rod that was in the dryer. Someone touched it. When I heated it with a heat gun I noticed several wisps of dust that the gun picked up in the air and blew onto the finish. It may have been a fluke, but I never do that anymore.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 09:24PM

Heat guns are a NO_NO for that reason. I would have used a alcohol lamp or torch

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 09:33PM

You're right Tom now that I think of it, maybe I am putting to much epoxy on, I will try to not put on so much next time, I did finally get the epoxy right, I finally passed the alcohol lamp on them and they turned out alot better, so next time, I will not put a heavy load on the spatula, and see how that works out.

Posted by: Dick Dangerfield (---.lnse2.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 10, 2010 04:52AM

Hi Lorenzo

I made myself a rod turning jig using a rotisserie motor out of an industrial chicken cooker. It turns at 2rpm which appears ideal with which to apply epoxy finishers. I apply the epoxy with a brush and I've never had a sagging problem. Additionally, the finish I use (Classic Rod Coat) rarely presents bubbling problems, but if this does occur, my wife's hair dryer, used on low heat and low speed provides the solution.

Cheers,
Dick Dangerfield
Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.43.254.125.unassigned.soulaustralia.com.au)
Date: November 10, 2010 06:01AM

Why do you have sag. ?

Are you applying too much epoxy. ?

Or are you trying to get the very thinnest saturation.??

Paul.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Date: November 10, 2010 09:05AM

Chuck,
Just be sure that your shop is free of dust, and that you turn on the heat gun away from the rod before you go to applying any heat to the rod. I use it on virtually every rod and have never had an issue.

This is another reason, that I do NO dirty work - i.e. I do no sanding turning, or any other dust raising work in the same building that I do my rod wrapping and coating and gluing. Since I can do the "dirty" work in another building, why run the risk of bringing in excess dust into the wrapping and coating building.

But that is why this is a wonderful occupation. Everone has different choices to do the same job.

Several of my rod building associates, use pocket butane lighters for the same purpose and have excellent results.

Other builders use alchol lamps with good results.

I have seen folks that have tried to use either candles or matches, or common lighters - with not good results due to the yellow flame and the smoke and black deposits that get onto the rod and finish.

Take care and thanks for the thoughts.

Roger

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2010 12:09PM

I do exactly as Roger does, right down to the cheap brushes. I used to use a spatula, but hated how it bounced over the guide foot. So I went to a brush on guides and spatula on wraps (dec wraps, ferrule, etc.) that had no guide feet. Then one day I tried just the brush on a dozen samples I had for a customer, liked it, and never went back. Kevin, from Angler's Envy, also has a good series of videos on Youtube and one deals with applying finish, which also influenced the way I do it. He uses a torch instead of a heat gun (like a small propane torch, not alcohol) but I think it would take some practice to do that way. I would probably burn the epoxy, thread, rod blank, and maybe my house down with that, but it works for him.

I think the biggest thing, no matter what method you use to apply epoxy, is practice. Buy a cheapo blank or find an old rod and wrap a bunch of thread on it, then epoxy it. Rinse and Repeat. I agree with Tom K especially about the less you mess with it the better your results will be.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 12:43PM

For years I used to have my rod turning when I applied finishes. Then I discovered Tom's way. Tom's way was much faster and the finish just disappeared in to the blank , no ridges or bumps.. Work of cautions when using a flame or any heat, to close the finish will crystallize and flash off or you can ruin your blank. When I use external heat (torch or gun) I place my hand in front, pretending my hand is the blank, I just want to feel the warmth, no burning heat. Keep the heat moving back an-forth while the rod is rotating. globs well form at the bottom of the wrap wick those off . Remember this is a one shot deal! A second trip with a flam is not recommended. Practice first

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 04:16PM

I put my finish on with high speed. After all are coated I then stop the turner, Then i do the TK 180 turn. When i think it is all off, I then start the turner again.

Works for me.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 04:17PM

I put my finish on with high speed. After all are coated I then stop the turner, Then i do the TK 180 turn. When i think it is all off, I then start the turner again.

Works for me. The faster turning also helps to get straighter edges on the wraps.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster