I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Shortening Threads on Casting Seats - Best Way?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 12:20PM

Just wondering what you have found to be the best way to shorten threads on casing seats? Specifically blank exposed casting seats like Batson's or Castaways that don't need an arbor installed in the front section under the threads.

Thanks!

Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shortening Threads on Casting Seats - Best Way?
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2010 12:46PM

it depends on the builder. some cut with a hacksaw and square up on a sander and some chuck in lathe and turn off the threads to be removed. if you decide to square up on a sander try not to let it heat up as it will melt. use a light touch

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: September 16, 2010 12:47PM

Dremel with a cut off wheel and 1/2" tape as a guide.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: September 16, 2010 01:02PM

I wrap masking tape as a guide and us a razor saw...I did the hacksaw before,and it works fine,but the razor saw with a fine blade is a little faster/easier for me.
Then I run the cut end over a flat file to level and clean up with fine grit sandpaper...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2010 01:02PM by Walker_Nelson.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 02:21PM

Rolly has it nailed, I'll only add that a DIAMOND cut off wheel is super thin and works the very best. You can buy them 3 at a time for just a couple bucks and they last forever with no "wheel dust" like you get from a carbon cut off wheel.

DR

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 03:13PM

I'll only add that dremel makes a bunch of other parts like small sanding discs, wire brushes, and polishing bits to get a smooth edge. The cut off is easy. The clean up is the key.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 16, 2010 03:26PM

I mask, cut off on a band saw, then touch up with a sander.

Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 06:22PM

I cut it off about .150" beyond the nut when a reel is installed. I then trim the threads off the barrel of the seat to where they stop right at the edge of the nut and then square it up with about .050"to .060" sticking beyond the nut and buff with a unitized wheel. I do all this because it makes my epoxy ramps even since the edge of the reel seat is now concentric with the blank. It does add about 5 extra minutes to my build time, but is well worth it with the finished product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2010 12:01AM by Andy Jones.

Posted by: Clyde Hunt (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2010 04:37PM

I use the same fine tooth saw I cut blanks with. Slide the seat on a wood arbor and chuck it in the lathe. Use high speed and touch the saw blade to the seat. Makes a nice, perfectly straight cut everytime

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2010 04:48PM

Bandsaw. If you happen to melt the edge just take a razor, it pops right off since the melted plastic is really brittle when it cools.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: September 17, 2010 09:16PM

Just a hint,or thought, Those of you using cut off wheels, band saws and belt sanders. Try packing the end that is to be with dry ice. You get a clean cut, no heat and no heat rolls, next take buffing compound and polish the edge

Good Wraps Bob

Date: September 17, 2010 09:41PM

WOW!!! That is way too complicated.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 17, 2010 11:16PM

honestly I have a set of v blocks and just lop off the excess on a mitre saw.. square up on the grinder and call it done.

Date: September 18, 2010 12:29AM

What is to complicated Bill?

Good Wraps Bob

Date: September 18, 2010 12:29AM

What is to complicated Bill?

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: September 18, 2010 01:53AM

Yeah I always have a steady supply of dry ice around.

Leave nut on, tighten it down, take 1/2 masking tape, wrap over threads and use as guide from the end. Cut of with dremel. Loosen nut until nut is removed from seat. Clean up edges and reinstall nut. Start to finish of job should be no more then 5 minutes and that includes drinking a cup of coffee.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: September 18, 2010 01:53AM

double post

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2010 01:54AM by Rolly Beenen.

Date: September 18, 2010 07:00AM

What is complicated? Are you serious? Dry ice and a buffing wheel to cut a reel seat? Complicated isnt' the word I wanted to use - it's just flat out bad advice.

How many reel seats have you cut yourself using dry ice? How did you handle the ice to pack it in the seat? What protection did you wear to prevent the ice fro touching your skin? How much smoother did the buffing leave the edge of th seat vs. any other method mntioned to get a flat edge? WHo cares because a grip material is going to butt up against it anyway. As I said, it's bad advice, even if you or anyone else is actually doing this and ar happy with the results, people reading this and wondering should not be using dry ic for anythign in rodbuilding, it's ridiculous.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2010 07:12AM

No coffee yet Billy? You're right the thought using of dry ice is overkill at best and dangerous. Changing small rolls of plastic that rub off for potentially shards of material and dry ice contact doesn't make much sense. Anyone concerned with the end could bury it in the lower grip below the reel seat much the same way as fly rod handle fores are often slid under the grips. Bandsaw, chop saw, miter saw, hack saw, razor saw - all are much more efficient, safer and easier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2010 07:22AM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 18, 2010 09:26AM

19 posts to cut off threads on a seat Dry ice ???? I guess you guys want to make things complicated ?? Dooooo

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster