I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Shortening Threads on Casting Seats - Best Way?
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 18, 2010 11:17AM

Consider this one........I have a common ten inch Delta Miter Saw sitting in my dirty work area. I remove the nut from the seat, on which I have already made my little cut mark with a silver pencil. Laying on the miter saw are two short pieces (about 1 1/4 long ) of a popsicle stick. One piece against the back fence, the other is right under it. Lay the seat down with the threaded area on the two pieces of Popsicle stick. Slide the seat under the saw blade, on your mark, and whack it off. The cut is square with very little to no melting. Clean it up and install.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: September 18, 2010 02:04PM

Billy I use dry ice I get at a local grocery store in a 1/8 lb container for a few pennies. It' in a ice cream cup. I stick the end in for 30 seconds and use my band saw. I just ware cotton gloves. I started using ice when I was making flo-thou (open reel seats to blanks). Heck it works great just placing the reel seat straight on a belt sander. Hey the builder just asked how to cut it off. How many different answers did he get. If I am in a hurry I use my diamond carbide cut off wheel on my Dremil or table saw

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 18, 2010 05:09PM

You are serious Bob.

Once after knowing where to cut Put tape on to mark Cut with a hack saw blade Then block sand the edge to square off the end -- Then a little 220 to smooth things out ---- Done

No big deal ---- Dry ice ???? --- I don't think so If this is a selling point for customers -- Fine

I still believe in the --KISS method

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: September 18, 2010 05:56PM

Bill I actually use the dry ice when cutting out an open area where you can feel the blank, using my band saw. or high speed dremil tool using grinding tools. I just threw the ice thing in as a suggestion. But I do use my diamond cut off dremal tool to cut most blanks and reel seats . I use the dry ice when making an unusual cut pattern on a reel seat. I get no heat or curl roll this way you can see your lines When cutting. Take a old graphite reel seat and try it.

Good Wraps Bob

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster