I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

hhigh build or low build
Posted by: Jerry Haight (---.sub-97-131-53.myvzw.com)
Date: September 16, 2010 10:29AM

Is there a rule of thumb which epoxy would be recommended. I'm building a 7'6"" flippin stick with micros and am wondering is there really a difference in the two.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hhigh build or low build
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2010 10:31AM

You can apply high build epoxy either thickly or thinly. You can only apply the low or lite build thinly (unless you don't mind a lumpy top coat). Of course you can build a lite epoxy finish into a thicker coating by applying additional applications.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: September 16, 2010 11:22AM

If you cannot pick why not slit the difference? There a a few of them that are "medium" build that work well.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 12:00PM

Wayne,

The high builds allow you to use less coats and many of them seem to cure faster with less "working" time. The low builds penetrate faster, and cure slower allowing a longer working time. I find the high builds are great for small things and guide repairs, but I like the low builds with multiple coats for a super level smooth look. The longer working time allows the epoxy to level better in my opinion.

Both seem to have their place with me, but for the most part I really like the thinner low build that allows me multiple thin coats.

DR

Date: September 16, 2010 12:33PM

thanks, that makes sense to me

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 04:48PM

I just mixed some flexcoat lite for the first time and as far as viscosity goes I didnt notice a big difference from the highbuild. I'm hoping I bennifit from the longer pot life because I'm a slow finisher....pun intended. I have diluted my high build with rubbing alcohol and it was quit thin and laid out beautiful and hardened fine but I was using a scrap blank. I don't want any trouble though so I'm not making a practice of thinning it but their site does indicate thinning with acitone or epoxy thinner.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 05:40PM

Rubbing alcohol may have some additive, Denatured is a better item.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 06:09PM

Jim,

You must be working in pretty warm conditions, I see quite a bit of difference between lite and reg build FC normally.....you'll like the added pot life.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster