I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

anther color preserver question please help
Posted by: mitchell read (---.dialup.xtra.co.nz)
Date: September 16, 2010 06:53AM

hay guys i have all ways used ncp thread but have got some rodsmith nylon thread and some water cp
i really like the colors of the raw thread but i have herd many things about the glue getting crazy cracks
so my questions r can i use the thread with out cp and what will happen if i do???
i had a test using some cp and the thread swelled and started to move when i was applying it did i use too much cp
and how often do u get crazy cracks when using cp

the reason i ask is i build jigging rods and lure rods and dont really want to have problems with glue but love the color of the raw threads cheers for any info guys
o and wicked forum

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: anther color preserver question please help
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2010 07:23AM

If you don't use CP the thread will darken and become semi-transparent when you hit it with epoxy.

I haven't heard of any "crazy cracks" due to the use of CP. Most CPs are highly flexible.

Date: September 16, 2010 07:29AM

ok cool how thick should i apply it i soakd the thread on my sample and it made the thread move did i use to much

Date: September 16, 2010 07:35AM

also what r some other good threads i can get from mudhole cheers guys

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 08:11AM

If this is nylon thread (gudebrod, ProWrap, National, Rice,FishHawk) and the thread moved with cp then you didn't wrap tight enough. The thread will loosen a LITTLE - but not so much that it noticeably "swells" and moves around. Apply CP in thin coats - two thin I think is better than one heavy. Allow ample drying time between first and second coats. Length of time will depend on temperature / humidity

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2010 09:13AM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 09:16AM

CP doesn't cause cracking of epoxy thread finish at the guide feet.

I think you will be happy with any of the threads sold at MudHole or any of the other fine companies listed to the left.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 09:22AM

IMHO cracking of epoxy at the guide feet is caused primarily by poorly prepped guides that causes the thread to bunch up or "skip". A second possibility is using the wrong finish - a casting resin vs "thread" epoxy. Experimentation is good - but sometimes too far "off the reservation" can have some bad things happen.

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: September 16, 2010 10:34AM

Mitchell, Give Ross a shout at the Rod Works (a sponser on the left). Give our FishHawk thread a try and also the Chromaseal CP. Ross Stocks all of our products and is great to work with. Thanks
Scott Parsons

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster